Turn signal light problems

Hello all,

I’m having the following turn signal light issue with my 09 Hyundai Tucson:

• Right side (front/rear) turn signals frequently not working. When engaged, there is rapid clicking, but neither light flashes.
  • This happens about half of the time. Otherwise, they work fine. Oftentimes I turn on the turn signal, it doesn’t work, then I turn it off and hit it again and it works properly.
  • No issue with the same lights when the hazard lights are engaged. Likewise, the lights flash without issue whenever I lock my car.

So, given the circumstances, I’m assuming it’s not a bulb. However, are these symptoms consistent with a flasher/relay issue? That seems like an easy DIY fix, but I’d rather not do it if that’s not likely the problem. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Just guessing. The turn signal switch itself (the one in the steering column)
Is making intermittent contact and needs replacement.

1 Like

Do not assume the bulb or socket are OK. A 10 year old car can have corrosion in the socket, the bulb may look OK but have a bad filament. Check the simple stuff first. A bad bulb or socket with high resistance can cause weird stuff to happen.

A couple of quick updates / new information:

• I was able to locate the flasher/relay, and it seems like it’s a single flasher/relay for turn signals and hazard lights
  • After having this issue for several weeks, today the turn signal was basically working perfectly

Just guessing. The turn signal switch itself (the one in the steering column)
Is making intermittent contact and needs replacement.

OK, thanks for the thoughts. As per my update, perhaps the fact that it seems to be working fine today supports your notion of intermittent contact (?).

Thanks for the comments. But in such a case would it be normal for the hazard lights to be working just fine?