Turbocharger

I HAVE A 2005 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE V6 NON TURBO, MY QUESTION IS, A TURBO WAS OFFERED BY THE MANUFACTURE . IS IT AVAILABLE OR OFFERED AFTERMARKET??? BALL PARK COST UNIT AND INSTALL? QUESTION 2 I WANTED TO HAVE THE AIRFILTER/CLEANER(S) CHANGED AND THE TECH COULD FIGURE OUT HOW TO REMOVE THE PLASTIC COVER OVER THE FILTER (s) IS THERE 1 OR 2 FILTERS?

THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE

Nobody has responded to this so I’ll kind of help it along. I’m not familiar with the engine, but generally in newer cars that offer turbocharger options I’d expect a different compression ratio and a different computer programming. Nonturbo engines are generally about as high a ratio as can be designed in without preignition, and the added boost from a turbo I would expect to cause problems.

The turbo engine probably has a lower compression ratio, since the turbo is boosting the pressure in. The ignition timing is probably slightly different also, to prevent pinging, and the injector pulsewidths would have to be different to add more fuel to the higher volume of air (per unit of time) being pushed in by the turbo. In short, there would be more to it than simply bolting on a turbo.

I’d expect there to be one filter. A Haynes manual from the local parts store should provide detailed instructions on it’s replacement.

Agin, I’m mostly just guessing, but hopefully opening up the thread to others who may have specific knowledge.

For most models, the turbo version is a different animal. The ECU programming is different, the engine mechanicals are different, and even fuel delivery, intake, and exhaust systems are different. I know people that have done turbo swaps, but it involves a lot of engine and electrical work. There are kits you may be able to use to put an after market turbo on it, but it will not be as efficient or reliable as the factory kit because of these differences. And, you’ll most likely need to do a lot of fabricating, especially if the factory did offer a turbo. No one will make an inferior system to the factory set-up.

I didn’t know they made a turbo Crossfire. Supercharged yes, turbo no.

You would be better of trading your existing car for a supercharged, but if you have shed loads of spare cash kicking around begging to be spent, Google : RennTech, StarTech or Kleeman.

None of these people are cheap, but they certainly know their stuff.

• Stay away for EBay chip kits, they’re worthless despite what they claim.