Transmission- losing reverse

BUMMED!! Turning a corner about 2 hours ago, i heard a humongous THA-DUNK sound and thought something fell off my car. accelerating, there was some squealing sounds going on, until the automatic gears shifted. I was only 1.5 miles from home. Backing into my driveway was a total NO GO. Reverse-Gone. With the help of neighbor(70s and 80s) I got the car in the driveway and garage. Can anyone give me some hope that the whole transmission is not going to have to be replaced? I have a call into a recommended transmission shop. My vehicle is a 2000 Jimmy SL with about 19,000 miles.

I would say 95%+ chance that the issue requires a rebuild. It was 100% when I have been faced with this situation.

I wasn’t going to respond b/c the OP asked for hope. I had none to offer.

P.S. I assume that 19,000 miles is supposed to be either 119,000 or 190,000?

oops. it is 119,000 miles.

You broke the sun shell in your transmission. What you describe is classic symptoms. This is a very common problem in these. If you only have 19k miles on it you can get away with just replacing the shell by itself. This does not require total disassembly of the transmission. See a transmission shop. (NOT a large chain shop)

transman

Ok, we were posting together. With 119k you need to rebuild this transmission. Bottom line, Sun shell broken, trans gone. Dont continue to drive it this way. That squeeling you are hearing is the shell itself spinning and grinding against the case.

transman

oh, nuts! Big bucks, right?

Check with independent transmission shops in your area. Tell them you have a 2000 Jimmy with a broken sun shell. Ask them how much to rebuild it with a heavy duty shell and the basic upgrades. Where do you live?? DO NOT go to any of those chain type trans shops, they are all about volume. Get em in, get em out fast, collect the money. They tend to get careless and cut corners.

transman

Thank you! I live in Sanford, ME. My car mechanic recommended someone to me whom he trusts. I appreciate your advice, and giving me some further info as to what happened to my poor little Jimmy.

Ok good. Please follow up with us. I’m curious to know what they charge you and what kind of upgrades they do for you. Good luck.

transman

Will do!

All fixed! This is on my invoice:
Master OH kit, Band, Sun gear shell- heavy duty, tcc valve,
oil, and filter. all to the tune of $1625. There is a 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty on the transmission.
The shell was stripped. This was an independent guy. He kept it a bit to check for leaks, and road tested it. While road testing, he noticed noise from the front right wheel bearings. Happy new year to me.