2000 GMC Jimmy Transmission

My GMC Jimmy is having issues. I don’t know if it’s a related problem, but for a few week when I’ve accelerated I hear the sound of fluid sloshing around.

It has been slow at shifting for a while, but now when I drive the transmission slips something terrible. It happens in 2 and 4 Wheel Drive. At 113,000 miles I’m going under the assumption that the transmission is shot.

Basically I have two questions:

1) I found a transmission from a 1999 Oldsmobile Bravada. I know these cars are similar. Can anyone shed any light on whether the transmissions are interchangeable or any resources or websites that could tell me?

2) Can anyone throw out just an estimate of what it may cost to rebuild my existing transmission?

Thanks in advance!!

sounds like you have at least two different problems. One is you’re low on antifreeze. Thats the sloshing sound when you accellerate. It’s low because you have a leak. As far as the trans goes it’s probably toast. To find out about interchange, call a salvage yard or try carpart.com.

Our estimates might not be very accurate. $1,800 to $3,600 depending upon what’s wrong with it and how honest the shop is. The transmission shops in your area will tell you.

113K miles in the transmission may or may not be a lot. It depends on what you’ve done with it in terms of driving and service.

Have you at least checked the fluid? Ad pete p noted, the sloshing won’t have anything to do with it. Weird shifting and slipping can just be symptoms of low fluid. Of course, if you’ve been letting it slip a lot & its been going on an while then you’ve toasted it.

Okay, will check the antifreeze.

Yeah, I was assuming it would be a decent amount to rebuild.

I’ve checked the fluid per the Haynes manual and it’s at the right level and it is clear. Thinking it’s probably just toast then.

Thanks!