Transmission in 2010 Dodge Caliber

I’ve been told the transmissions in Calibers don’t hold up. Would anyone with a Caliber having to replace a transmission and at how many miles please respond. Wondering if I should trade now or just take my chances.

Listen…there is no vehicle brand with a CVT transmission that has a good record of reliability. They are just too new to the market. Shop for transportation with the more reliable regular automatic transmission.

Stop by the local bookstore and peruse the consumer magazines’ reliability ratings. That’ll give you some indication of what your decision should be.

…and, whether you decide to keep this car or to get another one, remember that the trans fluid should be changed every 3 yrs/30k miles (whichever comes first), even if the vehicle mfr does not specify this maintenance. When that maintenance is not done, automatic transmissions–from all manufacturers–have a nasty habit of dying anytime after ~90k miles.

Take the advice of VDCdriver and then quit worrying.
I have owned vehicles that, according to Consumer Reports, had poor reliability and repair records. The two most recent vehicles were a 2000 Ford Windstar and a 2006 Chevrolet Uplander. I sold both vehicles to my son. The Windstar had about 120,000 miles when it had to have transmission work that cost about $1600. For my son, that was less expensive than finding another vehicle. He ran the Windstar to 150,000 and sold it when he bought the Uplander from me. It has had no major repairs at 120,000 miles. I owned a 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass with the infamous GM 200 transmission and it went 120,000 miles until the reverse quit functioning. I think my repair bill at the time was around $400.
Things can go wrong with any vehicle. However, with good maintenance and prudent driving, you greatly improve your chances of expensive repairs.

Who told you this and based on what? My oldest son has a 2007 Caliber with the CVT that he bought new and while those vehicles are not my taste at all, his has been bullet-proof up to this point. Other than spark plugs, tires, and oil changes it’s never needed anything nor has it ever needed to be taken to the dealer for a warranty complaint.

My suggestion would be to service the transmission every 30k miles with the correct fluid and not worry about it.

I have a 2008 Dodge Caliber and I’m hitting 80k on it. It’s already stared where my transmission light has come on and the car has slowed itself and shut itself off. Stay away from this vehicle this was the worse purchase of a lemon in my life! I’ve already changed rear end suspension and alternator within the first year of purchase!

Is the real concern about the Dodge Caliber the CVT transmission or with Dodge and their long road back to their reliability of years ago?

Checking CR, the transmission wasn’t a major trouble source, but there were several other areas that were, including “Drive system: Driveshaft or axle, CV joint, differential, transfer case, 4WD/AWD components, driveline vibration, traction control, electronic stability control (ESC), electrical failure.”