Tranny died at 63,000 miles

I just replaced my CVT on my 2007 Caliber at only 63,000 miles. I bought the car as a certified used car and it was on warranty, so I only paid 100.00…but the tranny’s for this car were on “national backorder” and mine was the third in two weeks the Dodge dealer had to repair, the second the day I brought it in. I’ve checked for a recall, but couldn’t find one. Nonetheless, I wonder about that many tranny’s in one model croaking in such a short time, that they are on national backorder. Anyone know anything about this?

63k is clearly a very early point for transmission failure on any make or model of car, but if there is indeed a trend reflecting early failure on this model, then that helps to confirm my misgivings on CVTs in general, as well as on Chrysler products in particular. These transmissions will probably be very common within a few years, and by then, they will probably have decent reliability–but that day has not yet arrived.

If I were you, I would start shopping for a replacement vehicle within the next year or two. The new trans should hold up for a few years, but since these CVTs are not currently repairable in the US, further problems will probably lead to the need to buy another new trans–on your dime.

As to the “national backorder” status of the Caliber’s CVT, this is not the first time that owners of recent Chrysler products have faced this situation. This exact situation took place with the failing motor mounts on Chrysler Pacificas, and I recall a similar situation with another Chrysler product–although those details escape me. This “national backorder” is likely a perfect storm created by the confluence of Chrysler’s lagging quality overall, the failure of large numbers of certain components, and the company’s tenuous financial status.

Fraid someone was going to tell me that. Sigh.

The Jatco JF0llE CVT Transmission in the Dodge Caliber is also used extensively in Nissan products. I believe Nissan extended the warranty to ten years 100K. I wonder what Chrysler warranty is on this Japanese designed transmission.

Here is the Wiki on the Jatco Transmission Just so we have a clear understanding of who takes ownership http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jatco