Transmission fluid flush vs drain and replace fluid

You do realize that most dealers get their parts from local parts stores?

The Carquest near me supplies parts to about six local dealers in the area that I know of.

I see their delivery trucks in the dealers lots all the time.

Napa does the same thing.

Tester

No. Maybe add $3600,

So you find Scotty Kilmer to be credible?

And you find the Lexus dealer to NOT be credible?

:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

In my opinion Scotty Kilmer belongs on the funny farm.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s all part of an act. He has a lot of followers.

Depends on the vehicle. I know a guy who owns a well respected transmission shop and he has contracts with many dealers that they outsource a lot of their transmission work to. He has a very expensive fluid exchange machines, but some vehicles itā€™s NOT recommended. Drain and fill only.

IMO the fluid exchange problem is largely due to allowed maximum pressures in the transmission. Honda recommended drain and fill 3 times to accomplish a full fluid exchange because many fluid exchange systems used pressures high enough to damage parts inside their ATs. That would not be the case for all cars and the fluid exchange systems may have improved since 2005 when my Accord was built.

1 Like

Guys, do you know why Iā€™m having a hard time with this topic?

Because Iā€™m getting conflicted information from dealers, as well as from regular people who own the Lexus IS.

For instance, Toyota said I need a transmission exchange at 60,000 miles.

Lexus said I donā€™t need a transmission exchange until 95,000 miles.

Another Lexus dealer told me the transmission is sealed and never needs to be serviced, ever, and that they wonā€™t service the car where it relates to the transmission, unless the transmission starts to give trouble, which is rare.

Then on an old thread from the Lexus forum Iā€™m seeing this:

So I hope you guys understand why Iā€™m so confused.