Transmission fluid flush vs drain and replace fluid

I know I’m becoming annoying on this topic, and I am sincerely sorry that I am. I just can’t seem to make a decision on transmission flush vs drain and refill because of conflicted information out there.

I like Scotty. He’s a great guy. I’ve watched him over the years on both TV and YouTube. And just a moment ago after reading the comments on the Lexus forum about transmission service and everyone warning not to get a flush but instead a drain and refill, I decided to do look up Scotty to see what he had to say on the subject, and this is what I found.

I like Tester’s video. I also like Scotty’s. So here I am: all confused.

I’m sorry, but I can’t watch that video

Scotty Kilmer annoys me and strikes me as someone who needs to be HEAVILY medicated

I recommend a drain and refill, fwiw

4 Likes

That guy is certainly irritating to watch IMO. With all the arm waving, he could double as a windmill.

I think what would be interesting and round out the video would be to compare the amount he drained with the specified amount from the manufacturer. If he gets 50% versus 80% versus 95% would be good information. Also, if the color of the fluid concerns him so much, why not drive it around and for the sake of the infotainment, drain it again and see how dirty it looks after the residual fluid mixes with the new.

I don’t like the term flush. Aren’t most modern equipment for this purpose more appropriately termed “fluid exchange machines”? They don’t force fluid to go where it isn’t going under normal use. They simply exchange fluid being pumped around the system, through the normal pumping system and pressures. This replaces all the fluid at the expense of using more fresh fluid to do it compared to a gravity drain and fill…

2 Likes

I doubt that you are sorry. Just choose what you want to do , do it and don’t tell anyone what you did so you can’t be second guessed.

1 Like

I don’t know of a single shop that does a drain and refill anymore.

That’s because we smart mechanics realize the benefits of a fluid flush. (sorry, I meant a fluid exchange.)

https://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/bf100456.htm

Tester

2 Likes

Just take it to a Dang trusted transmission shop, let THEM properly evaluate the condition of the fluid and then do what needs to be done…

1 Like

I just went to the dealer because these things worry me oddly.

The dealer said to flush the transmission fluid. So I told him if he knows Scotty Kilmer and that Scotty highly discourages flush services. The dealer said to ignore Scotty and that he is not a credible guy.

But how the dealer is going to convince me they are credible ? At this point I can be a helpless customer and someone to completely ignore. So I’m just going to put faith in this decision and go ahead with the flush.

Toyota said they don’t have a customer who has complained about a flush service.

Either way, the transmission needs to be serviced and I’ll go put my faith in the flush since they won’t do a drain and refill on my car.

I’m going with the flush. Toyota also reminded me today that they did a flush on my previous camry, which I wasn’t aware of. I was too naive back then to understand what a flush was.

The “dealer” (almost surely a service writer who is not a mechanic) actually got it right, IMO.

2 Likes

One more time: “flush” isn’t really what happens, it’s a “fluid exchange”, where new fluid is pumped in as old fluid is removed. And Scotty is enthusiastic, that’s about it. Most folks here ignore his advice.

2 Likes

Thank you.

I’m so used to reading about flush vs drain and refill that my brain automatically programs to interpret this way.

Ok. So it’s fluid exchange vs drain and refill.

Btw: $400 before tax for the service.

Pretty steep.

Price a transmission overhaul. Compare.

1 Like

7 quarts of tranny fluid and filter, and the flush, all at the dealer.

Sounds about right.

Tester

2 Likes

As was already pointed-out Toyota/Lexus specifies fluid exchange as the way that trans fluid should be changed on their more modern vehicles.

Do you think a transmission overhaul would be anywhere near $400? Maybe add a zero?

Before I bought the car, I did some research on price upkeep. I was told by several sources that a Lexus IS costs about $560 annually in upkeep and I felt that was decent.

However, my service record shows I’m spending well over $1200 per year on upkeep.

Spark plugs and oil change this year were $840. $400 plus tax will be added for transmission fluid exchange. Alignment and oil change together was $313.

Don’t understand how they can say it costs $560 annually for upkeep when I can’t achieve that with only driving 9,000 miles a year.

You don’t have those services performed annually.

Tester

2 Likes

Right, but when I look into 2023 service, I spent over $2000.

So each year I’m spending well above $1200 for different service as an upkeep.

And I bet you take the vehicle to the dealer for these services. Right?

Tester

Unfortunately, yes - to avoid aftermarket parts.

I had negative experience in the past using aftermarket parts on the Camry.