Transmission fluid change

I have a 2000 CRV with 89,000 miles. Runs well. Should I change the transmission fluid now or not bother. I’ve been told that if it runs well leave the fluid alone.

You have a choice. Change it now or wait until damage (maybe more damage) is done. I strongly recommend changing (not flushing) transmission fluid and cleaning the filter every 30 to 40,000 miles.

Many people wait until they are experiencing problems. That is too late.

This is one of the very few things I disagree with the manufacturers who have eliminated the listing of fluid changes as regular maintenance.

It is often noted that transmission fail soon after a fluid change and it is true. However the reason it is often true is because so many people never change the fluid until there is a noticeable problem. Change it now and hope it is not too late.

Yep. Just don’t have it flushed. I actually take my car to the dealer for this work (they can do the job for less than my local mechanic) and even they recommend against a flush. Look at the maintenance section in your owner’s manual, it’s probably due around 90,000 anyway.

Change it now!

Agree with Jeffmn05. Honda fluids are specific to their brand so if you use a Honda dealer you can be sure the correct fluid is used. Don’t get a flush, just a new filter, clean the pan and pickup screen, and refill with new fluid.

Honda automatic transmissions aren’t that robust, a fluid change is a good idea if you want the tranny to last.

Also, I should point out that this vehicle doesn’t have a transmission pan, or filter and is just a drain and filler of between 3 and 4 quarts.

Drain and refill every 25-30k miles. This is a must for all automatics.

transman