Transmission Control Module for Honda Accord?

Does anyone know where I can get a transmission control module for a 1991 Honda Accord LX?
New or used.
I live in Dublin, CA (greater San Francisco Bay Area). Local junkyards don’t have it.

Is it a discontinued part ? have you tried the dealer ships, after market parts places?

Yes, I think it must be discontinued, since the car is a 1991. Can you name some after-market places that I might try?

How about ebay . . . ?!

Junkyards are often able to network with each other, and your local junkyard MIGHT be able to find out who does have it, and get you in touch with them

Ebay & if you google it they’re advertised by several places .

Also try car-parts.com for an inventory of salvage yard parts.

I’ll try some of those places! Thanks.

Try rockauto.com since they list a transmission control unit (TCU) and a control solenoid for your '91 Honda Accord. I’m not quite sure of the part you need.

After some research, I think that the part I need is 28100-PX-0823. Rockauto lists it, now I’ve got to see if they actually have it.
Thx.

If you continue to run into problems finding this part, another option is to have your old one repaired. Try Googling “Automobile Module Repair” or something like that. There’s a lot of people with older cars with this problem, so there’s a bevy of companies that repair or rebuild these kinds of electronics modules.

You might do a net search for Shady Nook Honda Salvage in OK City, OK. They have been around for 40 or 50 years and could possibly have what you’re looking for.

This is not spam; just an effort to help out when all else fails and I have no affiliation with them other than being a customer now and then.

@ok4450 Yelp says Shady Nook is closed. Also, their website, shadynookautoparts.com, is not working anymore.

These modules typically have failed electrolytic capacitors.
One of my co-workers had a bad trans module of the same vintage Accord.
He did some research and found out about the caps.
Some soldering and a couple $ worth of caps and I had him back on the road.
Open the cover and look for bulging or leakage.

One of our eagle-eyed folks suggested these guys and asked that I pass along the link:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/shop_years/honda-accord-transmission-control-module-1991.html Might be worth a shot if Rock Auto doesn’t have it.

Good luck!
Victoria

Victoria, the first one pictured looks like the one on my car!
@circuitsmith interesting to know about the caps, but the ones you show seem too large to fit in the box, but of course, I can’t tell the scale from the photo.

Been replacing swollen capacitors and bringing to life computers and televisions. certainly worth a try to replace them. Story I heard was some company stole the formula, missing an ingredient causing early failure in the capacitor, a good electronic shop will carry them, not more than 2 to 5 dollars, Looking to retire in 3 years, might make it a business, may be able to fix computer, tv, and now tcm.

There are a lot of questionable parts out there, replaced the stepper motors for failed speedometer, oil pressure, tach and instead of $500 for a new cluster life is good for $20.

On a non related note, bud had a 4 year old AC condenser unit, the part in the furnace go bad. 5 year warranty except for condenser. A known problem, class action lawsuit is out there, the copper corrodes and now he has a $400 bill to replace it as condenser is excluded under 5 year warranty (read the fine print). Trane solved the problem by using aluminum coils, others have not. We need to start sending the people that condone this to jail, not just fine the company. Now looking to see if there is a treatment to extend the life of my coils. One fault noted was flouride in the water like from my humidifier that causes acids to form and deteriorate the copper.

So I have to look and see what condition my condition is in, but if you all have any hvac experience and a recommendation I thank you in advance.

I have no advice, but I’ll say that automotive hvac hasn’t used copper evaporators and/or condensers in years . . . decades, actually

I believe the reason was weight savings AND corrosion

I think sending somebody to jail over this is a little extreme. What would be the charge . . . ?!

Why is continuing to produce a product with a known defect something that should not be punishable by jail time? Just fine the company and let the decision makers walk off with their bonus?

@Barkydog

“known defect” . . . ?

You could argue that all auto manufacturers are guilty of selling products with known defects

Radiators often leak after several years of service

water pumps have been known to develop a bad bearing and/or leak

tires wear out

brake pads wear out

I stand by my earlier statement . . . jail time is WAY over the top

The most effective punishment for the offenders is if you simply do NOT buy their products again

Attorneys are investigating reports that a number of heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems (HVAC) were built with defective evaporator coils. It is believed that the coils are too thin and can corrode, and that this allows refrigerant to leak and renders the units ineffective. In light of these allegations, attorneys believe that class action lawsuits could be filed against the manufacturers of these units.

OK you buy a new central air, 4 years later still under 5 year warranty you think, the condenser fails because of a known problem. but warranty does not cover condenser? And you think the people that perpetrated this condition should be clear of any wrong doing, farking ripping off people should have no consequence? @db4960 how much knowledge should one have they are producing an inferior product and continue with it before they are accountable for their actions?