Tpms warning indicator

Hi guys1 Just got my new wheels and tires from Tire Rack installed on my little tojo, the TPMS light is now on all the time. Suggestions? I’m thinking black tape. Any way to disable it? Thanks Rocketman

Check the pressure in the tires, set them to the correct pressure, then reset the TPMS system in accordance with the directions in your owner’s manual. I’ve never had a shop set my pressures quite right. I always have to adjust them. I don’t consider it a big deal, as I always double check them anyway.

Depending on your car and assuming you had the tires installed with the monitors, a dealer may have to re calibrate the system for you. It they are not mounted in, you will learn to live with the light on like I have for ten years.

@rocketman‌

I have a few questions . . .

Make
model
year

On many vehicles, you must tell the TPMS module that you rotated tires . . . your rims are undoubtedly not in the same location that they were prior to new tires. The TPMS module is looking for a specific sensor ID to be in a specific location

This may sound hard to swallow, but TPMS lights also come on when the tire pressure is significantly too high . . . on some vehicles

There’s also the unpleasant possibility that the tire shop damaged one of your sensors during the installation. It can happen dismounting and mounting. Not only can you break the sensor when breaking the bead, but the tire itself can also break the sensor when mounting, if you’ve not positioned things correctly

The shop should have reset the TPMS after they installed the tires. Take it back and have them do it or follow the procedure in the Owner’s Manual.

Ed B.

Yeah the shop should have reset the computer but probably not for the same price as mounting someone else’s tires. One of my cars detects the tire location while driving and the other you have to tell it which tire is which. If the light is on though, it’s more than just telling it which tire is which. When I priced tire rack, all things considered, it wasn’tt much cheaper but higher risk if something went wrong.

Edit. If the wheels were also new, then for sure it needs to be re calibrated. Hopefully, the proper sensors were installed so they are compatable.

I got my last set of tires for my 2010 Insight from Tire Rack last fall and had the dealer put 'em on for $25 each just so I wouldn’t worry about sensor damage. Ironically, the TPMS System warning light started coming on a few months ago. I’m with dagosa…black tape time.

Any (decent) tire shop ought to be able to determine the problem and fix it. The cost can vary wildly between different models of cars due to sensor cost and programming procedure. If it isn’t going to be a fortune, I’d just fix it.

I just went through this with my HHR. Just follow the instructions in your owner’s manual and all should be well. Watch out for a time limit though…my HHR only allows 2 minutes to accomplish the procedure for each wheel.

Hope they didn’t throw out your valve stems with the sensors.