Toyota VTTi Actuator

I have a Toyota Corolla 2000 automatic. The check engine light comes on once in a while. The dealer diagnosed that the problem might be caused by the VVTi Actuator. The quote is about $800. I’m wondering how hard it is to do it myself (mean my husband).

I Googled the VVTI actuator replacement and it sounds somewhat complicated. Here’s the link:
http://www.autoscorner.com/00–02-corolla-celica-mr2-spyder-mil-on-dtc-p1349-vvti-actuator-technical-bulletin.html

It’s complicated, and if you mess it up you can cause serious damage to your engine. How much is the cost of the part? Add to that the time it will take you remembering that time is money. This is one you should not do yourself.

thanks for your replies. Since the check engine light comes on and go for quite a while now, how serious is it to leave the VTTi actuator as is and do nothing about it?

Note: You are not limited to a dealer for your car’s service. Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car. They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies. They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent.

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee.  During the warranty period be sure to have all required (as listed in the owner's manual) maintenance done and to document all maintenance work.

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic. 

Note: Never ever use a quick oil change place. They are fast cheap and very very bad.

A friend of mine was in the same situation with his Ford Contour. He drove it for 3 more years and sold it without ever fixing the VVTI.