2012 Honda CR-V - Engine work ahead

2012 Honda CR-V variable valve timing control (VTC) actuator needs to be replaced.

I bet you are wishing now that you changed the engine oil as often as was recommended in the owners manual.

4 Likes

On a more positive note, at least you don’t have the 2007 Toyota Avalon in today’s “Dear Car Talk” column. Only 100k miles, still runs great, only one problem , it has leaking timing chain cover. The repair requires removing both the engine and transmission , huge repair bill. And all for a minor oil cover leak on an otherwise perfectly running high-end vehicle? hmmm … thinking maybe a timing belt is actually the preferred design for most engines?

Not only oil changes as recommended but more than recommended. I change our Acura/Honda at 5000 miles which is at about 50% of the oil monitor. Cheap insurance. And yeah I’ve argued with the service manager.

2 Likes

If this is an expensive repair you might want to get a second opinion. Be prepared to pay for the diagnosis and don’t tell them what the first shop said. If they both agree that the VTC actual for needs to be replaced, then get it done.

A pro charges about 4.7 hours labor plus parts, fluids etc…

Most of the time, people who end up with these kind of problems (and stretched timing chains/worn plastic guides) are not the original owner, and have no idea about the previous maintenance history.

Timing belts were a great idea in the past when most 4-cylinder engines were SOHC and non-interference. Once you add in high-tech features such as VVT, and eliminate internal clearances, the use of a timing belt ceases to be a good idea.