I’ve done a bunch of work on mid 90’s pickups but I’ve never experienced a problem like this. It’s a friend’s truck and I haven’t spent a lot of time with it (i.e. looking under the hood, etc.) but the problem goes something like this:
- Turn on the truck (idles just fine)
- Depress the clutch
- Put the the truck into 1st gear (or any other gear for that matter)
- As soon as the truck is in gear the engine will stall out (with the clutch still fully depressed)
Other items of note:
- Before the truck started stalling out it was becoming more and more challenging to shift into 1st, 2nd, etc. Also, the trany grinds excessively when going into reverse. I am thinking something is up with the clutch (dragging, broken pressure plate spring, bad throwout or pilot bearing, etc.)
- The stalling problem developed over time. At first the truck just started loosing power while driving, then it started stalling. Now it can’t even shift into gear without stalling out.
I’ve tried looking online for answers and have found damn new everything: a blown vacuum line, bad ECU, clogged catalytic converter, fouled or leaking injectors, malfunctioning sensor somewhere, faulty fuel pressure regulator, clogged air filter,…you name it, someone’s thought of it. I am just hoping to narrow the list some.