Stalling when clutch is down - clutch already replaced

Hey

Just looking for some advice - I have an 07 fiesta Zetec and I had the clutch replaced about 4 months ago and everything was fine until a couple of weeks ago. Now when I am in 1st gear and I try to depress the clutch, I am able to get the pedal to the floor however sometimes the car remains stuck in 1st gear. There are very low revs and the car starts to try to pull forward and will make a massive racket and then stall. If I have my foot on the brake I can have my foot to the floor and it will be fighting me to move forward.

Since I recently had the clutch replaced due to other issues any ideas what this could be?

There may be a problem with the clutch master cylinder where it’s not producing enough hydraulic pressure to fully disengage the clutch when the clutch pedal is depressed.

Tester

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum…

1st make sure your floor mat (if any) has not slide up and under the pedal keeping it from fully depressing… But since it is still starting OK, I am thinking Tester is correct, sounds like a hydraulic issue, clutch master cylinder…

I am guessing yours is a right hand drive since Napa and RockAuto don’t show a 2007 Fiesta so I don’t know (and not looking) if it has an internal or external slave cylinder, if external you can see if it is moving far enough or bleeding off, pretty easy, but I’m guessing it is internal and it should be new…

Concur w posters above, sounds like a faulty clutch master cylinder. when I’ve had that problem on my Corolla, when it first starts to show symptoms I can usually pump the clutch pedal a couple of time to get it to shift ok. But soon thereafter, no amount of pumping will produce a smooth shift. I’ve had to replace that part several times, each time the replacement solved the symptom completely. If OP is planning on a diy’er repair, be aware that part is usually located in a difficult to access corner of the engine compartment.So search out some u-tube vdo’s for a heads up on what tools you’ll need.

1 Like