Toyota offers back-seat passengers a new Window to the World

Everywhere we look we’re surrounded by “smart” technology embedded into everyday items. Refrigerators have built-in televisions and internet connections, while our phones contain more computing power than a NASA control room from the '70s. Automakers are also ready to ride the tech-train to tomorrow, and Toyota has provided a glimpse of a new way to give passengers a window to the world.

A car already has such a window, but what if the glass was able to provide both information of the world outside and an interactive tool to view it. Engineers and designers from Toyota Motor Europe and the Copenhagen Instituted of Interaction Design have begun thinking about the future, and it could feature a rather unique option for the rear windows. Touch-screen glass would allow one to see how far objects lie in the distance, pinch to zoom on an area outside and to generally learn more about what’s going on outside.

It’s called the Window to the World concept, and you can experience it by watching the video after the jump.

That’s pretty cool. Wish my kids were younger…

Mike, you can enjoy it with your grandchildren. and if your children own the Highlander with the multimedia windows, you can ride the middle seat in back and play with the kids on both sides!

First my kids have to marry someone…And I’m NOT ready for that yet…

fun for those long car trips

“First my kids have to marry someone…And I’m NOT ready for that yet…”

Neither am I. Except for the oldest. When her beau of 6 years finishes law school, seeing them married will be a great relief. But that’s over 3 years from now. Until then, I have a fabulous scratch-cooked meal every Wednesday night. And all I have to contribute is room and board! At least it’s at home - the dog has claimed too many bedrooms as it is.

Anyway, by the time this is available on anything affordable, you will have lots of grandchildren. Unless they’re riding in your LX-570 or your wife’s LS-460 (the kids could not afford those cars for decades).