Toyota's new Moon Cruiser

1 Like

Will Alice Kramden be the first?

2 Likes

If it’s a robotic rover, why does it have windows? It is great that more companies are getting into aerospace work though.

I see a mention of a robotic arm, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a robot vehicle. The illustration could also be of a second generation vehicle.

Plus, robotic vehicles are already used to transport humans. Check out the tram the next time you’re at the airport. Odds are, there’s no driver.

This thing is interesting, but the biggest problem I see is getting it there. Unlike previous lunar rovers, that thing does not look like it will fold up very nicely, which means we are going to need a very wide garage section on the spacecraft that delivers it. That complicates things.

If people are living on the moon in 2040 I imagine they will have at least a one car garage :wink:

4 Likes

To my amazement when I rode it, London’s Docklands Light Railway had nobody piloting their trains. When I researched it, it turned out that they have been doing this since 1987, with an enviable safety record.

1 Like

If I’m living on the moon then, I want at least a 3 saucer garage :smiley:

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure there’s camera’s and other sensitive equipment inside and protected behind the windows.

The one pictured with windows is a rendition of a rover driven by astronauts in the future. May well be pressurized with an airlock for EVAs.

2 Likes