Tow Hooks

My car got stuck in the mud and the tow driver couldn’t find any tow hooks to pull it out. Come to find out my car doesn’t HAVE tow hooks on it. The turbo model of the 2011 Hyundai Sonata isn’t made with tow hooks. Has anyone heard of something like this? I am still in awe that the dealer didn’t even know until they put it up on the lift, and I never thought to ask when buying the car…unlucky me :frowning:

Modern cars are made with the bare minimum underneath, as much for economy in operation as anything else. In transport, i guess they would lock the wheels or have removable points. I would talk to the service people where you bought your car and get some ideas. The alternative, is to mount a trailer hitch on your cars and carry a hook…at least for the rear it gives a point and a place to put a bike rack.

Your tow truck driver did not know what he was doing. You have slots in the unibody frame rails. Tow trucks should have the hooks that fit in these slots. I call them hooks, but they dont look like hooks. Its more of a t shape.

One of my cars has a tow hook in the trunk with the jack. You pop out cover on the bumper and screw it in in front. My other cars don’t have them but every car has places you can hook onto to pull it out front or back.

Most cars dont have tow hooks. As oldbodyman stated hooks are inserted into slots in the frame rail.
If your car did hooks I would not trust them to hold up to a tow/pull out. For a car like yours a hook would simply be for transport purposes.
Years ago I inspected a vehicle that had seperate hooks for boat, train and truck transport.

Thanks for the info all. The car was up on a lift at the dealer and the tech could not find the slot in the frame to attach a hook, even if you could get to it buried in the mud :slight_smile: It really seems like my model does not come with the ability to tow. My next purchase will for sure be one that has enough clearance and 4WD so this won’t happen again…the trade off between enjoying where I live and commuting to make enough money to live there :slight_smile:

All modern cars have tie down capability for overseas shipping purposes. In mine, screw eye bolts are with the tire tool kit and the owner’s manual tells how to install them for towing. As oldbodyman said, the tow truck driver just didn’t know what he was doing.

Out of curiosity, how did this car get stuck in mud? If it’s likely to happen again, maybe you should ask another dealer (or even the manufacturer) about how to pull it out in the future.

I would recommend leaving it to a tow truck unless you know what you’re doing. There was a case in Minn some years ago wherein an offroader had gotten his truck stuck in the mud. A buddy tried to pull him out with his own 4x4 using nylon tow straps. He took a running start, the J-hook broke free and the nylon strap whipped the J-hook through the rear window and into the driver’s head, causing a fractured skull and permanent brain injury.

This type of pulling should always be done with sufficient size chains or steel cables and properly secured hardware, and always with protection from chain/cable breakage.

Good point TSM. My BIL is in insurance and they had a case in SD where the chain broke and killed the guy.

Unfortunately, these type of towing accindents are not uncommon. People don’t realize how much force can be loaded into a tow strap/chain/cable and the damage it can do if it lets go.

Since I moved where we live now, the learning curve for driving cars in and out where you might get stuck is much steeper. We all carry something that allows us to drag cars out of ditches and …nothing works better then a hitch which is commonly found on all cars and trucks on our road. On my pickups, I installed 2 inch reciever hitches on BOTH the front and the back of one of my trucks…what an advantage. I would never buy a car I couldn’t easily access a towing point, both front and back. If you aren’t a professional, don’t use chains and cables. Towing straps and braided loop spliced tow ropes are safest, tired with a bowline with nothing metal on the ends. Nylon stretches and whipps… Use polyester lines whenever you can.

Awdirect.com has diagrams with the tow points on all vehicles, I looked up your car and there should be a point mid front, I can’t seem to post the picture but it’s free and I use it when I work

Um, a little late to the party?