Too pricey for the market?

Lucid has not posted much good news lately, and I suspect that their big EV sedan is just too expensive to generate sufficient sales.

It has 10,000 workers? Where?

Check your math. The article says Lucid has about 7200 employees and 1300 is 18%.

So which is it? Reuters posts two articles. One talking about improved auto sales and one talking about layoffs. If you idle a plant to cut inventories, I guess you could argue, that means increased sales, but as far as a market for $70,000 work trucks, I see people hanging on to what they have.

Lucid doesn’t make trucks

1 Like

Ford and Gm does though, and they buy chips and steel.

As to price, it is largely dictated by range. My basic Model 3 has a range of up to 272 miles and costs at least $42,990. The extended range Model 3 has a range of up to 358 miles and costs at least $59,190. That’s $17,800 (41%) to extend the range 32% on the same car. Consider that the Lucid Air Pure has a range of 410 miles and it’s easy to see how the price is $87,400.

1 Like

Ya but you aren’t going to pull a trailer or load lumber on a model 3. That’s what f150s do. Apples to oranges. General transportation around town versus a work truck. Not to dispute that some of these truck never see a lick of work. Then of course the frozen tundra issue. By the way npr even has a video on child mine workers.

Do Lucid’s slack sales numbers even impact overall sales figures for the automotive industry? I seriously doubt it.
That chip maker based in Germany probably doesn’t supply any of their wares to Lucid, anyway.

Lucid’s range is definitely impressive, as is its charging speed. However, I think their disappointing sales figures indicate a vehicle that is priced too high for it to generate good sales numbers.

2 Likes

But it LOOKS really attractive! And that’s not sarcasm from me. I’ve seen a couple and they are good looking cars.

But there are far cheaper options these days and I see less and less value with range over 400 miles.

1 Like

Yes, they do look very good, and the interior is also pretty nice, IMHO. I sat in one at a Lucid showroom, and I was–overall–impressed by the design–both esthetically and technically.

The only point was that truck sale are down in general including ford and Gm. Whether due to cost or buyer reluctance. Lucid would just join the crowd. But at the same time paint a rosy picture picture for chips due to auto sales. Chips being a minor expense compared to other commodities like steel.

I’ll accept that Reuters just took a company press release and ran with it and didn’t dig further.

Really?

Feb 2023 Feb 2022 Change (%) YTD 2023 YTD 2022
Ford F-Series 54,995 45,252 21.5% 109,996 95,795
1 Like

The Lucid is a car, not a truck. I can’t imagine why you are on this truck jag.

However, it wouldn’t matter. Showing that batteries are probably the most expensive single system on an EV is universal.

The Lucid is a car, not a truck. You seem to the confused one.

2 Likes

Because that’s what has been in the news. Plant shuttered to reduce 100 day inventory for Gm. Ford cruising along with a 60 day inventory but dealers still topping the price off. I don’t remember what state now but a month ago an entire abandoned race facility was filled with super duty ford trucks. Claimed they were lacking chips. So does unfinished vehicles count as inventory or only those delivered to dealers? I’d suspect they were not included until delivered. Trucks as far as you could see, like a state fair grounds.

Rivian’s selling 8,000 of their trucks and SUV’s in the last quarter of 22 and the first quarter of 23, compared to Lucid’s 1,344 for this 1/4 and 1,060 in the last 1/4 of 22. I’ve seen several Rivian’s around here but no Lucid’s.

+1
While I’ve only seen 2 or 3 Rivian pickups over the past few months, I have seen a lot of the new Rivian-made delivery vans that they manufacture for Amazon. I think that Rivian’s strategy of marketing a competitive commercial van will give them enough cash flow to sustain themselves until they can start selling their SUVs and pickups in sufficient numbers to be profitable.

1 Like

If I’m paying $80,000 to $150,000 for an EV, I’m either going with Tesla or a major brand, not a startup having difficulties. That’s why Tesla’s success is so unusual, the first new carmaker in, what, more than 50 years?