Tire pressure sensor

my girlfriend has a 2008 pontiac grand prix and i got the valve stem replaced on one wheel because it was leaking. Now the new sensor is not communicating and the tire light is on. they tell me I have to have it reset with magnets at the dealership or disconnecting the battery may work. Which is right???

Does the owner’s manual have any information on this?

Most tire shops worth their salt will reset the system. Around here it’s $5 charge. Was this a DIY project to impress the girlfriend? BTDT too.

The reset procedure is in the Owner’s Manual. An electronic copy is available if the vehicle is registered at the GM Owner’s Center.

http://www.gm.com/gmownercenter/gm/?campaignId=HPPONTIAC&vin=

Ed B.

Yes, check the owners manual. Don’t know if its the same procedure or not but on my Pontiac G6, you turn the key to on, press the lock and unlock buttons on the fob at the same time for about 10 seconds and the horn honks. Then go to the left front and release or add air for about 8 sec and the horn will honk. Then the right front turn signal goes on and proceed to that tire and release or add for 8 seconds until the horn honks, then right rear, ending with the left rear. After the last one, the horn honks twice and the TPS have relearned their positions. Only takes a couple minutes but then you have to add air to bring it up to specs.

“Yes, check the owners manual. Don’t know if its the same procedure or not but on my Pontiac G6, you turn the key to on, press the lock and unlock buttons on the fob at the same time for about 10 seconds and the horn honks. Then go to the left front and release or add air for about 8 sec and the horn will honk. Then the right front turn signal goes on and proceed to that tire and release or add for 8 seconds until the horn honks, then right rear, ending with the left rear. After the last one, the horn honks twice and the TPS have relearned their positions. Only takes a couple minutes but then you have to add air to bring it up to specs.”

I would have this stripped off my car so fast…Have we all gone crazy???

It does’nt get much simpler than this:

From the owners manual for my 09 Rondo.

Reinflate the low tire & drive 20 continuous miles. This resets the TPMS system & the warning light turns off.

I dropped the left front to 28 PSI which caused the light to come on. Reinflated to 32 PSI & drove 9 miles & the light went off.

I would have this stripped off my car so fast…Have we all gone crazy???

Apparently we have. The human factors folks have a concept called “discoverability” – which just says that it is good practice to design things such that people can figure out how to use them without reading a manual. The procedure described above is a total and complete rejection of the concept of discoverability.

BTW, screw on mechanical tire pressure indicators that replace the tire stem cover have been available for decades. They cost about five bucks each, and on the very rare occasions that one fails, you can just unscrew it, throw it away, and replace it the next time you are at the parts store. … Of course, you have to look at them occasionally.