This Board Just Tried to load a Ransom Virus on My PC

I was leaving a comment and a “your computer is infected” notice popped up!

Closed the tab and the “infection” went away…

Haven’t seen one of those in a loooong time!

Be careful here folks!

The “Warning! Virus Detected” pop-up is a push notification that uses fake alerts stating that your device is under attack or infected to trick you into clicking on it.
https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-warning-virus-detected/#google_vignette

1 Like

I’m skeptical of your assertion the Car Talk is trying to infect your PC.

3 Likes

I see no reason to click on that link and Cartalk is not to blame for that notice.

4 Likes

It’s a push notification coming through the advertising.

1 Like

I have gotten those several times clicking on a link. No rhyme or reason but it’s a hoax. Only thing is it locks you up and all the bells and whistles go off. I just shut everything down and reboot and it’s gone. Not even picked up with the virus software. They don’t scare me because I’m to the point where I’d just throw the computer away and start over. My computer guy gave me the thumb drive for all the initial set up so starting over would not be hard. Plus I’m supposed to do a history copy every couple weeks but I’m a little lax on that.

I have gotten this at least 3 times in the last few months, it is full screen…
I just made a post and it popped up, I just hit back arrow and move on…

Full screen shot

This is what I had just posted when it happened

Yeah that’s one kind but the other is full screen lockup and don’t do anything but click here for help or something. Yeah sure, am I as stupid as I look?

Suggest to post your comment in the “site feedback” category as well. I’ve been redirected to a security alert webpage from this site quite a few times recently, which says “Caution: You connection is not private”. And today I’m experiencing grief posting my own or even seeing other’s screen shots.

In the past few weeks, I’ve been seeing these fake popup notifications (in Chrome on Windows 11) quite a bit from the collection of web sites that I visit daily, although I don’t think this site has been one of them so far. I guess someone has managed to slip some sketchy ads onto these sites.

It just happened to me! It was clearly a fake because the pop-up told me that my Macafee antivirus program had detected 5 viruses.

However, I haven’t ever used Macafee on this machine, so I knew that it was an attempt at having me click on the “fix”–at which point my machine would be infected.

Addendum:
I just did a quick scan with my Bitdefender antivirus program, and it found ZERO infections. I’m leaving the house shortly, and I will run a full system scan while I’m out, just to make sure that there is no infection.

1 Like

My full system Bitdefender scan yesterday showed no infections, so all was well at that point. However, a few minutes ago, one of those random fake virus notifications popped-up again. But, just using the “go back” arrow eliminated it.

One more, a few minutes ago!

Yeah I got a couple of the one I posted a pic of yesterday, just hit the left (go back) arrow… I do not have (the one in the pic) either, the free trial expired 2 years ago…

But this is the only site I get it from… :man_shrugging:

+1
I really hope that the forum’s tech people can resolve this issue before it drives away people who think that their machine has actually contracted a virus.

1 Like

George PLEASE REMOVE THAT

That image is one of the P-word ads. No worries, since the image offends more than just me, I will remove it.

Dang, kinda like a car wreck, I don’t want to see it, but can’t help looking… :laughing:

PS: NO don’t repost it…

I find those P-word ads pretty offensive. But who’s to say it offends others? Apparently it does, so I hope this will put some focus on what’s causing it to appear only only on the Car Talk website. It could be an important clue to the other technical problems being experienced here of late.

I’m not seeing anything like this. But I also run an ad-blocker.

There’s thousands of words that start with ‘P’.

Which one here?

3 Likes