The International Harvester Scout returns

… albeit as an EV produced by VW:

1 Like

i’m not sure what to think about this…

I’m not sure my '77 Scout would have approved.

1 Like

WOW a compass! That really makes it an off-roader.

2 Likes

I just wish the OE’s would stop bringing back old retired vehicle names, unless they are like the Chargers and Challengers (w/gen 3 Hemi’s), but don’t call a 4 door EV crossover thing a Mustang, or a truck a Maverick, or a FWD 4 door Fiat a Dart, FWD Blazer, etc etc etc…

Come up with new names… gezzz

2 Likes

I completely missed that VW bought Navistar.

VW could use a boxy off roader. But since it is an EV, I predict it will be a bust

2 Likes

Magna is doing the development for Scout, same co that gave us MB 4matic

Magna is the same company that built the Fisker Ocean, too.

It isn’t the quality that will sink it… it is the product. EV offroader and trucklet? That hasn’t gone well for anybody.

2 Likes

Being built in a brand new factory should be interesting, we’ll have to see what the actual product looks like though. Might be more of a rival to Rivian.

I was dating a gal in the mid 1980’s who had a 70’s International Scout. The very definition of a large SUV today, but before the word “SUV” was invented! Horrible gas mileage but tuff as nails. She bought a VW Rabbit for better mpg and gave the Scout to her Mom.

What about a Charger or Challenger EV that does 0-60 in a couple of seconds and has instant max torque?

2 Likes

Hmm, my 70 Scout was midsize compared to a full size SUV, approximately the same size as my 98 Explorer 2 door.

1 Like

We will see what happens…

Just drove by the manufacturing plant. They are a long ways from being done. They just started building the access road from the Interstate.

2 Likes

That’s a long time ago and my memory remembered it big! I think it was like the size of a Suburban but 2 or 3 feet shorter.

This 71 is similar to mine.
What I liked in 4X4s of that era, mechanical shift of the transfer case.
My current 4XX has electrical switching of the transfer case. Works okay, but slower.

The Chevy Nova is one of those. One model was a muscle car while it was re-released as a basic import economy car. There is nothing wrong with those of course but calling something like this the same name is dumb. It was basically a Corolla of its time.

Personally I like the 3rd gen of these the best.

1 Like

Looked At Buying a Nova, early 70’s I think, it had a Pontiac Ventura dashboard (Ventura nameplate)

Those Scouts were definitely very popular where I lived in Colorado in the 60’s & 70’s .

I am not a big GM fan, but I do respect and can appreciate most all muscle cars…
Yes the 1st and 2nd gen Nova’s are cool, 2 door and some wagons, but if I was looking to build a GM, it would be a 3rd gen Nova…

But the 5th gen Nova was an abomination calling it a Nova, hated GM for doing it…

At least when Mopar came out with the 5th gen Charger (and 84-93 Daytona’s) you could get it with a turbo and it had some style… Still would have preferred a new name for them though…

Are you thinking of the Travelall?

3 Likes