Thank you vets

Happy veterans day and thank you for serving our country and our countrymen. Your selfless bravery is admired and appreciated. You lay down your lives for those both grateful and ungrateful. By fighting and showing a presence in their yard you are keeping them out of ours.

Thank you.

Thank you @meaneyedcatz. There are a lot of “ungrateful” people out there who will never understand what you just said. It reminds me of the bible verse paraphrased here: “the rain falls on both the just and the unjust.”

Agree; November 11 is always a special day for us. My country of birth was liberated by the Allies in 1945 and our family is forever grateful for this.

It’s a little more personal for me than for some - my parents were rescued from a Japanese POW camp in the Philippines shortly before they were all going to be executed. My gratitude to those paratroopers, and to all veterans, knows no bounds.

I’m also deeply grateful to the Philippine people, who kept my parents alive by throwing food over the prison walls. Please keep those people in mind, and donate if possible, in response to the terrible damage from the hurricane.

Yes, thank you. I went to the flag raising ceremony and got to see some of the folks there. I was in Reserves and although the orders were cut for Viet Nam, they were cancelled by Nixon so we didn’t have to go. USAR 70-76, 31J20 doesn’t exist anymore.

It is gratifying to see that veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan are given the respect they deserve. I hope that the country doesn’t turn their back on them when the fighting ends. I have seen the term “professional vet” tossed about on several forums to denigrate veterans whose return has put a heavy burden on the Veterans Administration. I was one of the fortunate draftees of the 60s who served in Vietnam and returned none the worse for wear but I saw many who were, as they say these days, “thrown under the bus” by the military and the VA. I was a bitter SOB for quite a while after returning home and I don’t think I was alone then and likely a great many current vets will be dealing with some bitterness.

I was one of the fortunate draftees of the 60s who served in Vietnam and returned none the worse for wear but I saw many who were, as they say these days, "thrown under the bus" by the military and the VA.

I was only in Nam for about 7 months when they started pulling troups out. I saw some action…but was also lucky (got shot at a couple of times…but that was it). Unfortunately there were many who weren’t so lucky. I lost a couple of classmates and two cousins in that stupid war. And since I didn’t serve a full year I had to stay in a full 3 years. I would NEVER wear my uniform home on leave. Didn’t like being called “Baby Killers”. I’m glad the attitude has changed toward veterans since then. Some people still don’t understand you can support the troops and NOT support the war. I NEVER supported the war in Iraq…but ALWAYS supported the troops and their families.

The VA was gutted in the 80’s. Many NEEDED medical benefits was taken away from Vietnam vets. I was in college at Syracuse University which was right next to the Veterans hospital. We saw first hand the effects of those cuts.

The treatment of Vietnam veterans by the military and the Veteran’s Administration was often criminally negligent in my opinion, @MikeInNH. And over the years since that war ended the politicians from across the country have fought to keep unneeded military bases open in their states and fought to keep weapons contracts funded in their states while trashing VA hospitals and stalling veterans who asked for the benefits they deserve. I get a bitter taste in my mouth when I hear a politician throwing out grand patriotic rhetoric to garner the public’s support during these times when flag waving is in vogue. But in coming months, when the economic situation demands cut backs again, the VA will take a hit, not the new unwanted bombers and unneeded submarines.

I do want to say that I deeply, deeply appreciate two groups in particular; the WWII vets and the veterans of todays military. The WWII guys were “in”, and many in combat, for the entire duration of the war, with no idea how long that would be. And their sacrifices truly did free millions throughout the world, and truly did halt the spread of fascism. Todays vets are all volunteers, and many see repeated tours of combat. I cannot speak highly enough about them.

Sincere best to us all.

One of my favorite charities is The USO.
Another of my favorites is The Wounded Warrior Project.
With the end of the year approaching, I urge people to make a tax deductible donation to one or both of these deserving groups.

Both of these groups are certainly more deserving than The American Red Cross…

I guess ours wasn’t a good war. But is was our war. And like the veterans of WW II, all game some and some gave all.

There was a time when I spent a lot of time here, and you get to know people some. I have always wanted to pause to give a thanks for mountainbike for his service. It does come up from time to time, but its not obvious when the “moment” is. And now I see Mike and missileman too. I’m sure many others - it’s hard to keep track of all of the offhand comments popping up here and that that indicate someone has served. Many thanks to you guys and to those out there more recently, and as we speak.

For the men and woman who gave so much,thank you all.Dont think its not appreciated,its shameful how the problems of the unselfish Veterans can go unheeded I sincerely hope that this issue can be given the resolution and attention it deserves-Kevin

thank you