Tesla or Maserati?

How old are you? Twenty-something? You’ll drive to the poorhouse with the expensive upkeep of the Maserati while you will need a different mindset to own a Tesla with a charging plug system where you live and the mindset to keep it charged. A young guy where I work was a dreamer too and bought a Dodge Charger SRT with super performance…and he totaled it. The he bought a Challenger Hellcat…totaled it. Do yourself a favor and buy inexpensive now then buy expensive later.

It would be… interesting… to find out how much he now pays for car insurance.
:thinking:

I went to high school with a rich kid who did something very similar. The only vehicle the insurance would insure for him was an old six cylinder pickup truck with three on the tree.

1 Like

I almost bought a Maserati a couple of years ago. Then I did a little research, found out it had ceramic brakes, and it cost $10,000 to replace the front brakes. If you’re serious about the Maserati, I’d check the brakes.

Even the Model S is new enough that not many have racked up significant miles - especially since rich-people cars tend to be low mileage anyway.

But there is this article:

in which a guy spent just under 11 grand maintaining it over 300,000 miles, including $3,500 for headlight repair after he drove through deep water.

So, about $7k in scheduled maintenance over 300k miles. Not too shabby, but also not unexpected since there’s a lot fewer moving parts to wear out.

Here’s another Jalopnik article with questionable figures. I didn’t study it but some of the figures just don’t add up again. 17,000 miles a month around California? That’s about 700 miles a day. In order to do 700 miles a day, ya gonna have to be on the Interstate for at least ten hours, not driving around town in congestion. Then $70-80,000 for maintenance of a comparable MB or Lincoln. So that’s over 20 cents a mile which is what you could just rent the dang thing for. Maybe they were including the cost of gas or something compared to what they said was “no cost” for company charging stations. Of course there is a cost to someone.

I didn’t see the article but heard that Tesla is doing a major cut back on employees-I thought a 7% reduction. The company line was so that they could concentrate on producing the lower cost models. Does this make anymore sense than the other recent car manufacture announcement? Problems with robot welders so had to hire human welders and set up in a tent to produce cars. This seems like they would need an increase in labor not a decrease?

I’m starting to not believe much anymore about these folks.

Batteries have a calendar life as well as a cycle life, they are sort of like tires in that way. The fact that a Tesla may have accumulated 300K in an extremely short period of time tells me nothing about what to expect when the car is 10 to 15 years old.

Well, I don’t know what to tell you. The Model S came out in 2012, so you’re going to have to wait 3 to 7 years for your answers if you need to know temporal longevity. :wink:

Classic Schwinn bicycle. Going retro is quite popular these days. Classic Schwinns are durable and very easy to service. On the downside, they have only one gear and coaster brake sadly subject to fade on steep hills.

Or you can get a top of the line world class racing bike sure to impress.

And just think, with all that riding you’ll have a fit physique certain to impress the girls far more than any car can. After all, would you rather have them drooling over the boy or the toy? :wink:

Yes, it makes perfect sense actually. Govt reduced credits on Tesla cars so to keep them competitive and appealing, tesla reduced their price even further to help offset the impact to their customers. How does a company do that and try not to go further in the hole? One lever they have is to reduce their overhead. Cutting people is a giant lever for that. Let go anyone not directly involved in producing your target vehicle or at least until you hit the numbers. This company has only made a profit recently, not like they can just absorb it.

Maybe. I guess they could have had 7% of their labor involved in unnecessary overhead but sounds high. I think they might have reduced production staff though to concentrate on the lower cost model to try and churn revenue.

Yes, the A4 is a level or two lower than the Maserati, but it still offers good acceleration (0-60 times in the low 5’s) and you get a new car with a 3 year warranty for under $50k as opposed to a used car. Depends on what you want and how much you’re willing to pay for it. I have a coworker who bought a Maserati and definitely don’t think they’re worth the money.

There are several companies that do delivery service in NH and MA that own Tesla’s. They rack up serious miles in a year. Most is highway. I also know of a couple ride service companies that shuttle people back and forth from NH and ME to MA airport making several trips a day.

Racking up a lot of miles on a Tesla is by far from the norm, it can and does happen.

Several countries in Europe - Tesla’s account for 70% of all Taxi’s. Taxi’s here in the US are driven 2-3 shifts for 24 hours. Lot easier to rack up a lot of miles when going 24/7 (minus time out to charge batteries).

Those Tesla taxis in the eastern European countries . . . are they built in the USA or Europe?

Now You got me curious. In which countries does Tesla account for 70 % of all Taxi’s?
We could use some more them here, that’s for sure (there is one)

db4690 - You ain’t gonna make many friends in The Netherlands, Norway and Sweden by calling them eastern European countries as that is where most of them are ( Tesla taxi’s) :grin:

Spell check your post, Mike. I bet you meant “shifts”. :smile:

Put me on the “persona non grata” list for the Netherlands, Norway and Sweden, in that case :wink:

For the record . . . @MikeInNH didn’t mention the specific european countries, so I incorrectly assumed they were in the east

If he HAD specifically said “Norway, Sweden and the Netherlands have lots of Teslas in use as taxis” . . . I wouldn’t have referred to those countries as being in eastern europe

My only mistake was in assuming Mike was talking about eastern european countries . . . an assumption based on incomplete information

Since you seem to know where the Tesla taxis are located, do you happen to know where they’re manufactured?

If they happen to be imported, are the Teslas specifically built for the european market, or do the us-spec Teslas already meet the european requirements?

Considering much/most of europe is already 220V or 240V . . . if I recall correctly . . . integrating the charging stations shouldn’t be a major ordeal, unless I’m missing something. Here in the USA, it can be a big deal to add a 220V or 240V circuit in the garage

Lastly, the Teslas in europe . . . which model?

S, X or 3?

They’ll forgive You, I’m sure.

USA

As far as I know, only details are changed to meet the requiremeents,

We (Eu) have 240 volts as lowest, max amp fuse - 16 for private property then 400 volt max amp fuse 16 amp for priv. prop. If you want to exceed on the fuses, you have to get a specified approval from relevant authorized company (think copper in the walls and the likes)
Only a few here in DK does not have 400 V.
There can be small differences through out Europe, but these are the general rules/customs.

The only one I haven’t seen is the 3 and I’m not sure that they have started sending any of them over the pond yet.

Edit
Just checked with:
https://www.tesla.com/da_DK/support/model-3-ordering-faq#deliveries-europe

Seems like delivery will start late februar -19, depending on order date and location and the Standard Range Model 3 starts second half of -19, same conditions.
They have a few spread out over Europe on display, but none you can take for a spin - I mean test drive.

So the taxis are model S . . . ?

It would make sense, since it appears to be a good-sized “liftback”

It’s a car, for sure, but not a sedan

I don’t know about that, but in Schiphol airport, NL they are using the Tesla “gullwing” or maybe that is just an old picture.