What to choose?

I’m sure there a million discussion threads like this… BUT, I’d like to get some fresh feedback.

I’m looking for a weekender type fun convertible car to lightly use occasionally. I’ve narrowed it down to either picking up a used 2000’s Porsche or a used 2000’s Maserati. Both are fun, the Maserati is going to be more exotic and probably a bit more powerful. The back of my mind says the maserati is going to be a money pit. But it’s also been my childhood dream car and i figure what the heck? Ill only drive it a little…

Help?

Both will be money pits, but the Porsche less so. Before buying either one, make sure you have access to a good independent mechanic who knows how to work on the car you are buying. He will be your best friend.

Dealer maintenance and repair on either one will take most of the fun out of owning them.

In general, budget 3-4 times the amount Americans normally spend on maintaining and repairing their cars, which is about $1200 per year.

Enjoy the childhood dream!!!

That 3-4 times Doc mentioned is for the Porsche. Multiply that by 2-1/2 times for the Maseratti.

If you doubt my comment, find a Maseratti mechanic and ask them what a tuneup will cost. Use any model, it won’t matter. You’ll get the idea.

Thanks guys!!

It’s the sad reality of luxury sports cars. I guess there’s a reason why the maserati depreciates as fast as it does!

So you’re saying get a miata. :slight_smile:

Just for my curiosity, I did a search for Maserati repair prices. Here are some snipits for the first hits that showed up:

1. 6,500 mile service (oil change, lube job, general service items, including material and labor) $745.00

2. 12,500 mile service (lube, oil and filter change, general service items, plus CHANGE OF CLUTCH, CHANGE ALL TIRES) $9,800

3. 18000 mile service (first “big” service, changing all fluids, filters, …) $2,700

4. Clutch lasted about 18,000 and it was about $3,500 for the replacement.

So at about 40k miles, you’re really in “no-man’s land” and god only knows what kinds of issues you’ll be paying for.

Buying a used one would be a mistake.

I’d get the Porsche. Just as much or more fun to drive, much easier to get parts, and lots of enthusiastic owners and events. Not as much with the Maserati.

p.s. of course, with either it must have a fully documented repair and maintenance record, and must be checked out prior to purchase.

I see the Boxsters are very reasonable and seem to be powered pretty decently. I know they are more or less an entry level Porsche but perhaps some mods could spruce them up more. How friendly are they to modify and tweek to try and get some extra “vroom vroom” out of them?

Instead of modifying, you should get the ‘S’ version, newer = more powerful.

You can modify, but that’s pretty big $$$, the engine needs to be removed first.

Oh so there isn’t like exhaust mods or intercooler type things you can do to beef them up?

Nope, you can bet that Porsche has pretty well optimized intake and exhaust for the given engine. Modifications require major engine changes, several thousands of dollars. An no intercooler, that only for turbo/super charged engines.

awesome… that’s actually pretty cool that you can feel confident knowing that Porsche has optimized the car. I like that. I think I’ll look into the Boxster S’s. At first glance they seem pretty reasonable in price.

How about doing work on them yourself? Impossible?

After readng the posts, I guess some things never change. Back in the early 1960’s, I was with my dad while he was having his car serviced by a dealer who handled Plymouths, Morris Minors, and the MG line. My dad was talking with the owner while I was out on the lot drooling over a used Porsche. I needed a car to go to graduate school. The owner came over and said, “That is the last car you want to buy. The upkeep will keep you broke”.
I wound up buying a disposable car–a 1947 Pontiac-- for $75. The $75 Pontiac plus two quarts of oil got me to my destination 350 miles away.

nice… but you got older and bought the porsche anyway right? Then you drove it around on the weekends “pickin’ up chicks” right?

come on.

Unfortunately, the car I bought when I got my first job was a 1965 Rambler Classic 550–bottom of the line. The closest thing I have ever had to a sporty vehicle was a 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon 4-4-2. By 1978, the 4-4-2 was just a trim package and the dealer had had the car on his lot for about 6 months. I got an excellent price on the car since nobody else wanted it. I still own the car and one has to be a real sport to drive it anyplace.

If I did get a sporty car today, about the only place I might be able to pick up chicks is at the nursing home.

2005 911 Carrera Targa or Cabriolet, depending on how important handling is to you. They’ll set you back about $35,000 to $40,000 up front and won’t be more expensive than a Boxter to repair. Edmunds suggests you budget $4000/year for M&R on either the Boxter or 911.

I also suggest you call your car insurance provider and check on the rates, for whatever model you choose.

And then you’d want a van or small SUV for them(and you) to be able to get in and out of easier. :stuck_out_tongue:

Triedaq…

There is nothing wrong with nursing-home chicks IMHO

:slight_smile:

Instead of the exotics, and the practical Miata - consider a 2002 to 05 T’bird. I have an '03 Bird and it is fun. Not perfect, but nothing like the cost of maintaining a Porsche or the Maserati.