Tesla looks at Mexico

… as their next site for an assembly plant:

It seems as if chaos never ends with Musk . He has made a mess out of so many things . Putting a lot of people out of work to move to Mexico is just wrong.

2 Likes

Musk complains about cali but Tesla has billion dollar facility there. They going to move it?

He has also made a huge success out many things as well.

This doesn’t replace a US plant, it is additional production capacity.

1 Like

Musk had to know building a multi billion plant in cali would be a s**tshow. Why did he do that? Taxes, unions, state regulators and so on.

I expect he needed start-up investors, and Calif is where many green-tech investors are located. Add to that, a manufacturing plant that was already configured to make cars was vacant and available. Originally it was a GM/Toyota joint venture plant, same plant where my oft-mentioned Corolla was manufactured. I expect that plant’s work will eventually move elsewhere, same as GM/Toyota did. I think most American-sold Corollas are built in Texas these days.

Fixed that for ya George, :wink: you’re welcome.

As a follow on, Musk did not build a plant, he took over the NUMMI plant and modified it for Tesla. He paid Toyota $42 million and Toyota agreed to buy $50 million for Tesla stock in the first IPO. That seems like a pretty good deal and allowed him to get into business much faster than if he tried to build a greenfield site.

2 Likes