Tesla disables car for man who doesn't pay for repair

It’s a European thing like referring to dates in the military style of day month year instead of month day year. Organizations seem to do it as a virtue signal to show how hip they are but it just causes confusion in the USA. Never know if it’s a decimal or a phone number.

Our journalism teacher would have condensed that down to one paragraph and provided a stern lecture to us poor snowflakes in the process. But as said a book written but never read . . .

2 Likes

“People are saying dismantle the front…watch some YouTube videos,” he said. “I don’t have time for that.”

What a cry baby. If you can’t coerce someone to jump power to your vehicle you need to do it yourself.

The hood release and 12-volt connector are accessible under the plastic nose cone. Apply 12 volts to the connector and the door handles will operate.

2 Likes

Honestly, if you can’t figure out a 9-digit number with two groups of 3 and one group of 4 digits is a phone number, it says more about your perception than the punctuation practice. :wink:

2 Likes

No sense discussing it folks, he’s said his piece and counted to three…
:grin:

2 Likes

That really looks complicated and time consuming :rofl: :rofl:

Well that’s ten plus if you add the country code. But it isn’t can’t, it is why? But I think I know. I think the bank code is nine digits though.

Two things hit home here.

One is the fact that batteries have a finite life. Engines do too but I have an old clunker 1997 pickup with 300,000 miles that will die due to rust before the engine or transmission ever let go. It is also a manual transmission. Odds are an automatic wouldn’t have made it that far without a rebuild or replacement. The engine runs surprisingly well and I don’t think this truck was very well-maintained before I got it. A little TLC seems to have brought it back to life. It starts each time and only uses a small amount of oil between changes. Honestly, I could probably drive it an entire 5,000 miles and it would only be at the LOW mark on the dipstick. Either way, I don’t expect the engine to have a shelf life if it sits or just stop running in its current condition. It seems like batteries have a finite life no matter if they are left to sit too long which is bad or just simply used as intended. They have a cycle life that seems lower than that of a standard engine.

Sometimes the truck doesn’t get driven for a while but that hasn’t been the case recently This does reduce the life of the battery but it isn’t a big deal when they only cost $200. For tech products that I deal with, often a dead battery is the reason to replace the device. A 5 year old cell phone or laptop is often just about used up anyway or a newer model with must heave features is out, rendering the used value of the product too low to be worth fixing. Yes, I get people who opt for a fix but sometimes the aftermarket batteries I can only find after a few years are about as bad as the failed battery. Personally, I trade my cell phones in when the battery starts to show signs of lessening capacity. I wait for a good trade in deal from Samsung or my carrier and go for it. Lithium batteries do have a finite life. You can extend that by stressing them less. You keep the charge level between 40-80% and they will last a lot longer. Tesla has this built into their BMS but sometimes overrides that with firmware updates to extend the range of the cars in an emergency. For example, before past hurricanes in Florida, Tesla has allowed batteries to charge above their ideal capacity and be discharged below their ideal capacity to extend their range. Once out of harms way, the old settings to preserve the batteries were restored. I wonder if this is going on now near Tampa or wherever.

Second, the belligerent/irrational customer idea hits home. I deal with the general public each and every day and have had to deal with some doozies. It hasn’t been so bad lately but I raised my prices significantly during the pandemic which seems to have helped run off the real nuts. What always gets me is how you get some crazy that threatens you or whatever. I just hang up on them, only to have them call back later, realizing I am the only one providing the service they need or they have pissed everyone off and are desperate. If they owe me money form a past job, I will require that paid up along with the cost of what I feel the new job will run them with a safety factor built into the cost of course. Some are so bad that I just want nothing to do with them at any price. I have told some I will call the police if they call back again. These are just some of the joys of having a service business and why I tend to focus more and more on commercial and governmental customers.

Either way, I don’t think I will buy a full EV just yet. I might consider the right hybrid but feel the technology is too new and the replacement for the batteries too costly. I tend to keep cars a while. I don’t know if this applies to the Tesla in question, but I have heard of people rebuilding used batteries using cells from other similar-age used batteries. They don’t want brand new cells mixed with old. The electrical specs between cells should be as close as possible.