Stupid useless Eco Stop/Start "feature" in newer cars!

Lol, thanks. I feel the same for all the poor souls having to hold their Yeti because it won’t fit in the cup holder.

Some folks don’t like it. Some folks barely notice it, apparently, although I can’t see how.

I foresee the off button not being present in the future. In my crystal ball

1 Like

It doesn’t activate when coasting. Yet. Right? I wonder if that’ll be a thing in the future? Crystal ball is hazy on this.

1 Like

Taking away our V-8s and overweight SUVs would be a good start but I don’t think that is what the voters had in mind, they could have bought a more efficient vehicle long before gasoline went over $4/gallon. It was presented as that the manufactures would simply be required to manufacture more efficient vehicles but people weren’t expecting any compromises.

I am not the one complaining, my comment was based on vehicle owners response to these devices and features that they believe they did not ask for.

The new fuel economy standard is having a major effect on the auto industry but not for the better, manufactures that can’t sell enough hybrid cars to boost their CAFE average are discontinuing their sedan models.

I’m not suggesting that high powered vehicles should be banned. A better solution IMO is to use other methods like computer engine management, enhanced power equipment (turbocharging for instance) and start/stop technology to make then more fuel efficient. We can even produce 4-cyl engines with more power than V8s. Ford’s EcoBoost is a good example. My Accord 4 banger is not as powerful as my old Accord V6, but it has plenty of power to deal with traffic and then some. I also average about 35 mpg. I got about 25 mpg in the old Accord. That’s an increase of 40%. It all adds up and is a good stopgap until we get to practical electric vehicles.

Why does a Prius have start/stop? Primary motive power is the electric motor correct? Gas engine only runs when needed, or am I totally misunderstanding how a Prius operates?

My mother’s ‘15 Jetta gets about the same fuel economy. A turbocharged I-4 has a lot of pickup.

Sheesh. I get flagged for mentioning the discrepancy between 60 minutes high water in Venice and the BBC the next day warning about mud in the canal, and you gotta talk about conspiracies? Like there hasn’t been a coup conspiracy? You aren’t paying attention.

I believe the conclusion though way back, without re-reading the diatribe, was that start/stop was not a mandated requirement, but the EPA would give credit to manufacturers that came up with energy saving ideas, whether they actually worked or not. Kinda like doing extra credit work for class. So not mandated but crazy stuff proposed and encouraged and everybody piling on.

1 Like

Yeah, you misunderstand how it works. At highway speed and while accelerating the gas motor runs. The battery/electric motor part aids the gas motor in acceleration and can power the car at lower speeds and at very light acceleration. The hybrid part is like a “peak shaving” system, helping when needed. Google ‘hybrid synergy drive’ for mor info.

That was kind of what I was getting at, when stopped at a light, the default position of the gas engine should be off.

2 Likes

It is off, except when the engine is cold or th if battery is depleted.

1 Like

I hesitate because I know this is really old and nothing new of the various opinions, but just to clarify, when you buy a new car, you don’t test drive the car you are buying. You test drive a demonstrator which is supposed to be a facsimile of the actual car you are buying. It may or may not have the particular hated feature that’s on the car delivered to you. Now a used car is different, where you actually drive that particular car.

That might be the case if someone does multiple dealer trips looking at different vehicles . But if someone does not test drive the actual vehicle they intend to purchase then that is just their mistake. We both drive any vehicle we decide to buy before signing any papers.

4 Likes

They aren’t going to let you take a new car off the lot and put test miles on it. That’s what the warranty period is for. I would not buy a new car off the lot that has 10-15 miles on it already but someone test driving it.

We have done that several times . You must deal with some dealer who does not want to sell a vehicle.
We even had one place that went to their delivery lot to bring one to us to drive that we had seen on the web site.

1 Like

Actually they sell a lot of cars. I knew a guy though that made such a pest out of himself that no dealer in town would deal with him anymore. Had to measure stuff like foam in the seats and length of the coil springs to compare to the various models.

I have never once bought a new car I didn’t drive and inspect before signing anything. If they can’t deliver it immediately and I have to come back, I inspect it again before handing over the final payment. I have found damage a number of times. Last one had a gouge in the dash pad it didn’t have the day I test drove it. Sales guy tried to downplay it at first, then said they had a guy that fixes dashes (apparently they have such careless prep people they need a dash guy on retainer) and he’d come to my house to fix it. No, you have two days to fix it or refund my deposit. It was fixed the next day and we completed the transaction. Got burned once many years ago, never happening again…

2 Likes

OK but how do you drive a car that is not going to be produced for two months? You can’t order the car without signing the papers and putting the deposit down? At least I’ve never been able to order a car without committing to the sale. Maybe things are different back east.

Didn’t mean to get everyone agitated again. Just sayin’ sometimes you can be surprised. So guess just ask for sure and get the answer in big red letters.

No, I test drive the actual car I will be buying used or new. I’ve never ordered a custom car from the factory, and my mother didn’t raise a fool.

If I did order a custom car from the factory, I’d test it out before taking delivery to make sure there was no bait and switch.

I don’t order anything, I buy from stock. But no different really. Just like you noted, you sign intent to buy and put down deposit. If the agreement doesn’t have a contingency for customer inspection prior to delivery, then I wouldn’t sign until they add it. Car comes in, we inspect and drive. OK? Make balance payment and complete transaction. Isn’t that what you do?

1 Like

Bing , I really do not follow you. We ordered a new Nissan Frontier in 2014 . When we went to pick it up the salesman saw us pull in and the first question was ( Are you ready to take a test drive ? ).