Disable Start/Stop

Volvos prior to, I think 2019, have this bizarre feature that shuts off the engine when you stop the vehicle. Lifting your foot off the brake turns the engine back on. Really, I’m serious. A Volvo tech told me Volvo built this feature to improve the MPG for govt disclosures or some such nonsense.
You can turn off this feature when you start the engine, but it’s kind of a pain to do so.
There’s an expensive little box you can plug into your dash to permanently disable the feature.
Are there any other hacks?

Its simply not that intrusive a feature. Just let it operate as designed.

1 Like

Disagree. It makes a racket when the engine reengages. Passengers comment about it all the time, wondering what’s going on.
And when you’re in stop and go traffic (common here in Atlanta), the darn thing goes on and off constantly.

1 Like

So then we agree to disagree. That is why Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors.

1 Like

It should not be doing that. you should get it checked out.

1 Like

It does not seem that hard to disable

Start/Stop (custhelp.com)

2 Likes

I hear these everyday while in traffic, this has become rather common and does draw attention. Sometimes I hear a starter motor unnecessarily operate when a driver creeps forward 2 feet, if a driver were interested in saving fuel, they would only release the brake when ready to drive.

I don’t know why you think this is so unusual. Many cars have this feature.

1 Like

I agree. What a stupid feature. If I expect to be standing still for long enough to justify the potential fuel savings, such as at a railroad crossing, I can already shift the transmission into “P” and turn the engine off. I don’t need the computer to do it for me. If I anticipate moving again within a reasonable time, such as when I am stopped at a traffic light, then I want my engine to stay running, which it does (my cars are old enough to not have auto stop/start).

3 Likes

As for stupid features, they were developed to satisfy the voter that was lured to the 54 MPG goal. Replace your 15 mpg SUV with the same size vehicle that achieves 50 mpg next year with these improvements.

The tailgate spoiler in 2008 was a feature that no one asked for. Manufactures look for ways to improve fuel economy 0.1 mpg at a time.

2 Likes

And this is why I’ll continue to buy older used vehicles…

I don’t want my engine to start/stop. I don’t want my car to connect to the internet. I also don’t want sensors that beep at me all the time.

And stay off my lawn, you kids!

Bizarre? Where you been? Under a rock. The auto start been around since the 70’s. With wider adoption since the 90’s, and is pretty commonplace now. The new ones are almost completely unnoticeable. If yours is that loud or annoying it needs to be looked at. As stated above some dislike it, some like it, and even more simply don’t care. Some disable it, some don’t, some won’t buy a car with it, some will, (you did) and again some just don’t care. It’s all personal preference, btw why did you buy something you don’t like? Nevermind it’s neither here nor there. You bought it it’s yours, and it’s your problem. I know wiki isn’t the ultimate information platform but here’s a little reading.
Merry Christmas :christmas_tree:

1 Like

Start/Stop is common on many vehicles of different brands.
Making “a racket” is not.
I hear vehicles restart in traffic, usually quiet and nearly instantaneous.
You don’t state the year of your Volvo, based on your statement “Volvos prior to, I think 2019”, I am guessing yours is an older car.
Did you buy it new? Has it done this since day one?
Or did you buy it used and not notice the start/stop during the test drive? Or, “racket” a recent development ?

“Expensive black box”, why? Just put a post-it note on the start button to remind yourself to disable start/stop prior to starting the vehicle.

The “racket” noise needs to be diagnosed, expect to pay a diagnosis fee. Then post back with the diagnosis,

2 Likes

They all make noise, lower your window while at a traffic light and you will hear the starter motors engage when the light changes to green.

1 Like

That is the only time you can hear them restart, windows down, radio off, very little sound and nearly instantaneous.

The OP states “a racket “, that is not normal.

2 Likes

If i ever own a vehicle with Stop-Start, it Will be deactivated.
Sheer idiocy in my opinion.

2 Likes

It doesnt hurt anything, and is very minimally intrusive.

2 Likes

Does your Hyundai have auto start/stop?

The feature is intrusive if you are just creeping along and occassionally have to stop briefly . I dont want something shutting off the car while Im sitting under a stop light waiting for oncoming traffic to clear and hope it starts fast enough so I dont get clobbered .Myself will not buy a car without at least a button to shut it off which my Durango has . That goes off on every start . If I really hated it more there are places that sell little boxes that will plug into the wiring for a little over $100 . If you have a button I’m not sure why it bothers you so much if all you have to do is reach up on the dash and hit the button after you start it but to each his own . Search the internet for places that might have a Volvo Stop/start overrride . Volvo - Engine Stop-Start System deactivation memory module | Carelectronic Webshop

fyi OP, there are prior threads about this topic here. Find them using the forum search feature, link upper right this page. The consensus seems to be – among all the makes, not just Volvo – that it isn’t easy to permanently disable. I’m guessing the reason is b/c it is part of the mpg improvement function, and fleet-mpg is a gov’t regulated statistic. Probably best course is to just live with it, and to purchase a make/model that doesn’t have this feature next time.

I hear this sound frequently while bicycling & walking, and I concur it does make an objectionable and distracting noise as I pass the vehicle.

1 Like