Stuck trying to Change Timing Belt

Good for you OP for getting the car drivable again. At one point as I recall you thought you had it licked, then ran into a problem with a forgotten Allen wrench possibly damaging belt and/or tensioner. Just curious, what happened after that which allowed you to get it all working again?

I did a timing belt replacement on my VW Rabbit, for some reason not much difficulty to that one. When I did the timing belt job on my Corolla however, followed manuf service manual and supported engine from the top with a home-brew support. I ran into a problem at the end where I couldn’t get the front mount reinstalled into the bracket, engine orientation had shifted slightly. No amount of prying would get it back into alignment. Finally decided to try jacking engine from below, which did the trick.

I think the only reason the shop manual said to support the engine from the top is b/c a shop would want to put the car on a lift to make access to the timing belt area easier. But for a diy’er I’m guessing the better strategy is to only support the engine from below, jack on oil pan, and just do the entire job at ground level.

I don’t recall, what’s the coil issue?

Bad spark. Either coil or out of time. Had one ordered and ready to install. My $1 is still on timing. I’ve replaced coils before and the module but don’t know if I ever really had a bad one. Oh except for the olds that would eat them for lunch. Still car ran but just with a miss. So we’ll see and hope for the best.

Both of my coils had cracks where the white dashes are. I had multiple misfires. . Odd both crapped at same time.

Really? They were both made around the same time, of the same materials and have the same amount of time in service. Not very odd at all.

Brilliant. Statistics prove all things fail together. Ur smart.

Hope you didn’t spend it all in one place!

All I said was it’s not odd, not that it always or never happens that way. Chill out.