Stop sign humor

I honestly don’t know what standards they’re using. If I can find something out, I’ll post it here.
I’d guess that there’s some sort of national trade organization that created recommendations, but it is just a guess.

EDIT: Here’s something:

1 Like

Yeah our city regulates sign size and had quite a discussion a few years back on an LED billboard. We’ve only got one and they cut the size down but you can still see it from a half mile away. I sometimes mistake the red and blue Holiday gas station sign for the police though. I’m not a big regulation fan but agree with the sign limits.

No, the the state police SWAT interceptor SUVs.

In our state all of the law enforcement vehicle logo appliques are applied in a shop located in a garage at The Garage of The Department of Redundancy Department Garage. :wink:

They use the acronym SWAT because they don’t want them to say, State Police Tactical Special Weapons and Tactics Team K-9 Unit on the Interceptor SUVs. They’re simply not large enough. :smirk:
CSA

Yoopers need battle wagon protection like that? It seems more like something seen in a large urban area. I’m not suggesting that you shouldn’t have protection, just that I’m surprised that you do.

Too bad they don’t have a hi-low switch.
Could even dim down automatically when the vehicle is stopped, and day vs night, so the officer doesn’t have to remember to change it.

The troopers absolutely need extreme visibility of their vehicles. Too many of them get hit as it is. Unfortunately, the tradeoff is that at certain angles the lights can be blinding to oncoming drivers. Especially to older drivers who might have some level of cataracts. On that point I speak from experience.

1 Like

We have it all around here from gigantic billboards to smaller completely obnoxious company signs. Brightness is only one aspect to consider regulating. Along with the technology comes new ways to be obnoxious like flashing at really fast rates to get your attention. Check this out for more ideas. Google “regulations for led sign brightness” to get hits like this one- https://www.cwaplan.com/2016/06/16/regulations-for-led-signs/

We are required to move one lane away from the emergency vehicle or slow down to 10 MPH below the speed limit if we stay in the lane next to the emergency vehicle. The 10 mph part is for highways, and the law only pertains to government vehicles. We don’t have to slow for tow trucks, but it seems to me the rule is good practice for them, too. Just no ticket involved.

I absolutely agree. Whenever there’s and indication of a hazardous situation ahead, be the lights red, yellow, blue, or nonexistent, it’s very smart to slow down, give the vehicle(s) as much room as possible, and raise your alertness level a few notches. If I’m on the highway and come upon a stopped traffic line, I put my hazard flashers on and keep my foot on the brakes just to raise the alertness of the next car that comes up behind me.

If we take preventative measures and prevent an accident, we’ll never know our measures did so, but if we DON’T take preventative measures and an accident DOES happen… well, I’d rather do the former. I’d rather prevent an accident and never know I did so.

1 Like

I’ve noticed everyone moving over mostly for even stopped cars. Just a good idea if you’ve ever had to change a tire on the interstate.

2 Likes

Around my area, they have a habit of setting up road construction lighting pointed towards the drivers instead of the work area so that’s really blinding. If that’s being done for safety, it’s counterproductive.

I see that occasionally in my area too, and I agree with you.
Around here they do “nighttime paving” on highways to not interfere with traffic, for safety. Sort of ironic that they create an unsafe situation for safety.

1 Like