Stop sign humor

My guess is that it was the result of not-my-job syndrome.

1 Like

Cynically Iā€™d guess thatā€™s because the government out there doesnā€™t really care what you do on long stretches of roads between decent-sized cities, and they donā€™t staff the cops as heavily at night which means they arenā€™t enforcing the speed limit anyway so why bother artificially lowering it to boost ticket revenue.

When I was in my teens, none of the radio stations in the NYC/NJ Metro area played rock & roll on Sunday nights. Luckily, my little Zenith transistor radio was able to pick-up WOWO, in Ft. Wayne, Indiana (ā€œThe Summit Cityā€)ā€“which was ~650 miles away! For my high school years, and most of my college years, WOWO was my go-to station on Sunday nights.

In addition to giving me the music that I wanted to hear, I also heard commercials for a hamburger chain that did not yet exist in The East. One of the sponsors of WOWOā€™s Sunday night program was the McDonalds on ā€œThe California Roadā€, somewhere outside of Ft. Wayne.

I have a favorite example of stop sign humor. I have possibly posted it in the past.
Q: If 4 vehicles arrive at a 4 way stop at exactly the same time, which one has right of way?
A: The jacked up 4WD pickup with a full gun rack and ā€œGuns donā€™t kill people. I do.ā€ bumper stickers displayed front and rear.

:thinking: I thought it was that big State Police Tactical SWAT Team, Interceptor SUV, the one with K-9 Unit written on all four sides and the roof.
CSA

1 Like

I would yield! LOL

Is this still true with digital TV?

That was the old NTSC system. Some say that NTSC stood for never twice the same color. Iā€™m not sure what digital tv uses.

Not to diverge from cars too much but I have some TVs on cable and others from a free antenna. Whatever they use, the digital picture off the antenna is far better than the cable picture. The only disadvantage is the limited stations (20-30) since Iā€™m about 40 miles from the towers.

No, the signals are all digitally encoded before transmission.

The best picture is from terrestrial signal. Those are not compressed at all. Cable is the worst due to the most compression loss. Satellite and optical are in the middle.

Sorry, they are compressed. Heavily. Not sure of the type of compression, but that is done.

HiDef signal is 2,073,600 pixels every 1/60 of a second. Each pixel consists of 8 bits of each of 3 colors. That comes to 3 billion bits per second, or a bandwidth of 3 GHz.

The spectrum allowed is 19 MHz, so lots of compression is done.

Of course they donā€™t transmit raw pixel data. Itā€™s encoded. The difference is that other mediums also use lossy compession to shrink it even further.

You can call it encoding, but itā€™s compression.

2 Likes

No, itā€™s different. Encoding can be entirely reconstructed at the destination with no loss of fidelity. Compression results in some loss and the more you compress, the greater the loss in signal integrity.

Encoding simply reduces the data that needs to be sent by assigning values to repeating patterns and frames really donā€™t change much most of the time frame to frame. Only need to transmit the pixel data (encoded) that changed. Reduces required bandwidth substantially with no loss.

There are two types of compression, loss-less and lossy.

But they are still compressions. When you reduce the amount of data using various algorithms, that is compression.

But we are arguing about terminology, usually a waste of timeā€¦

Until the camera pans and everything changes. Thatā€™s why you see motion blur during football game broadcasts. When the camera is still, you see the blades of grass, but when the camera follows the action the background becomes less detailed.
Iā€™m not sure, but it wouldnā€™t surprise me if the software gave priority to the parts of the image in the center of the screen, sort of a pixel triage when showing the raw pixel image would exceed the allotted bandwidth.

You are confusing encoding with modulation, those are two different steps. Encoding is converting the analog signal to a digital signal. The encoded signal is then used to modulate the carrier (RF) for transmission. The video portion still uses vestigial sideband AM.

Edit: Compression is not the same as encoding. Compression is (usually) done after the encoding but before modulation.

yes, I agree. I thought that is what I saidā€¦ I just left out the modulation part, that is assumed.

The steps are encoding, compression, modulation, transmission.

Depending on the source, from a blu-ray disc for example, it may be de-compression, reformating, compression (different type), etc.