Steering Wheel

I have a 99 Camry with 166,000 miles. I have recently noticed that I am having some unusual vibration and movement in my steering wheel much like a wobbling effect. I have checked my tires, however, it seems to be on the right front end…

Any ideas on what would suddenly cause this?

Janice

One of the most common reasons is an out of balance tire. If it appeared very suddenly you might have just lost a wheel weight and it is easy to have the tires rebalanced.

But then there are quite a few other things that can cause this like worn suspension and/or steering components. I would take it to a good front end shop for a test drive & a once over. If nothing obvious shows up start with having all of the tires rebalanced.

Car out of alignment or bad tire(s) are the two main possible causes for this. There are other possibilities too, but I would eliminate those two before looking elsewhere.

This time of year we see a lot of such problems due to a chunk of snow on the wheel throwing it out of balance. Also pot holes can damage the internal tyre and cause such a problem.

Makes sense to me…I’ll bring it in for a balance check. Thanks!

In addition to the other suggestions make sure the lug nuts are tight. I had lug nuts loosen up 2 or 3 months after I changed a tire on my Ford Windstar.