Tires

I have a 1999 Jeep. It runs great. It has 166,000 miles on in… I had new shocks put on it and the tires rotated and rebalanced. It ran great before the work was done. Now the car vibrates above 60 mph. I can feel it in the steering wheel. Had the tires rebalanced again, now the vibrating is felt in the drivers seat and in the steering wheel. Dose anyone have any ideals as to what is going on.

Thank you. rg2604

You may have a bent rim. While it was on the back, you would not feel the vibration, but on the front you do.

Check for wear irregularities. Rebalancing a tire with irregular wear can cause it to vibrate.

If there are no wear irregularities, have the wheels spun on a machine that does “road force balancing”. That provides a much better balance than a regular machine, and it will detect irregularities including a bent rim.

Check to see if your tires are directionally oriented and if so that they’re installed in the correct side. Directional orientation can be found by looking up your tire on the internet, by the existence of an arrow on the sidewall, or a quick visual by anyone familiar with tires.

If they simply tell you you have a bent rim, make them show you. I have bent a rim (two actually) but I have very often seen a shop simply blame a vibration on a bent rim when it was actually a sloppy balance job. Too many bead busters simply don’t want to bother doing a good job balancing.

Question: how many miles do the tires have on them?

Let me thow it out there that they don’t know what they are doing or their machine is bad. I took my Camry to 3 places before they got it right. My Camry has aluminum rims and they could not get it correct with the wieghts inside the rim at the place I originally bought them at and NTB. They tried to tell me it was good and would wear in. I took it to Pep Boys. I knew the guy that did it before would get it right.

A friend got his done at wallymart and the rims had 5 and 6 wieghts on each tire. He could not go above 35 mph or the car felt like it would shake itself apart.

Even though the balancer says it’s balanced, it may still be wobbling side to side or have tramp

Many times this can be corrected by breaking the tire down, spinning it 1/2 turn on the rim, and trying again

I’ll admit this doesn’t always work, and when it doesn’t it’s usually the rim that is the problem

Make sure there are weights on the outside of the rim. Many tire shops “do you a favor” by static balancing the tires only putting weights on the inside so the outside is not cluttered with wheel weights. This is wrong and will cause the tires to vibrate, if not now, then soon. Dynamic balance measures the inside and outside out of balance and usually requires weights on both inner and outer. Not all wheels need this but at least one of 4 will. The exception is the stick-on weights mounted inside the rim towards the middle on rims with no lip for weights.

+1 db4690

I had the same problem after a set of brand new Michelin tires were installed on our 2003 Toyota 4Runner. The tire dealer did exactly what db4690 suggested–broke it down and rotated the tire on the rim. That cured the problem. We had had no vibration problem with the tires until the new Michelin were installed. The vibration then began as it did for the OP at 60 mph.