Steering clunk noise 2008 Pontiac G6

This car has a V6 engine with 50000 miles. Nearly every time you turn the steering wheel you hear a clunk sounding noise. This has been going on for quite some time now. A mechanic said this is a common problem with this car. Does anyone out there share this problem, know if there is a recall or a technical spec. bulletin issued or know of a fix?

I had a similar problem with a 2006 Chevrolet Uplander I used to own. In my case, it was the intermediate steering shaft and was replaced under warranty. I was told by the service writer that this had been an issue with certain GM Vvehicles.

Can’t say this applies but it appears it could be the steering intermediate shaft, strut upper bearing mount, or the steering rack itself. Depending on where exactly the noise is coming from. You should really take it to the dealer and see what they say. The original shaft is not painted and the procedure is to grease the shaft. The new replacement shaft installed 09 and later, is painted and cannot be greased.

TECHNICAL
Bulletin No.: 06-02-32-007F
Date: August 24, 2009
Subject: Clunk, Knock or Rattle Noise From Front of Vehicle While Driving or Turning Over Bumps at Low Speeds (Diagnose Noise and Perform Outlined Repair)