Stalling - Mopar

Daughter has a 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager with 3.0 L engine, 176,000 miles on it. We have had a problem with it stalling for the past year. Generally will stall once, just after start and then will run fine for some time. Starts easily after stalling. However, at times will stall when slowing to a stop or slowing to turn a corner. At times it is awkward, sometimes dangerous when it stalls.

We have had it into a couple of independent repair shops (supposedly reliable) over the past year and they have “guessed” at the problem and it is costing us money, with no results. Can’t fault them, for at times it will go a whole day without stalling.

So far, we, or the repair shops have:

1. Replaced plugs and wires

2. Replaced distributor cap and rotor

3. Replaced thermostat

4. Replaced camshaft position sensor

5. Replaced Idle Air Control motor

6. Cleaned positive contacts in the Power Distribution Center

7. Cleaned the Throttle Body

8. Checked for vacuum leaks and found none

9. Feel no slack in the key ignition

Last summer I drove this vehicle to Duluth and back, and had it cut out one time on the entire trip. I swear that as it cut out, the dash lighted up and the speedometer dropped. But this was momentary and the car caught, and ran fine the rest of the trip. Due to this incident, it is my feeling that the problem is electrical, although it will not throw a fault code, or stay stalled so that we can do more testing.

Do you have any suggestions, or is there a machine that some auto shop has that we should be availing ourselves of?

Thanks for any insight you might lend to this problem.

Your car is having trouble maintaining minimum idle speed. When you slow down the idle is dipping too far and stalling before the computer has a chance to react. The second the car stalls the dash lights will illuminate and the spedo should read zero, this is normal, and not a sign of an electrical problem. The new IAC and cleaning the throttle usually help this problem. Since it has not, I would clean the mass air flow sensor, and possibly an intake cleaning. You should make not of what the car feels like when it stalls. Does it lose power over a short period of time, does it try to stay running, or does it immediately stop like a switch? knowing this will help your mechanic narrow in on the problem. I would also recommend using one mechanic because he can continue diagnostics rather than checking somone elses work.

Thanks for your thoughts - When the car stalls, it immediately stops like flipping a switch. I guess I am the one mechanic who is continuing the diagnostics. I have most of the tools, code reader, ohm meter, etc. But this is so elusive----------