Southern Gas Shortage

Or the fact that gasoline will dissolve plastic bags quickly…

1 Like

A shortage of tanker drivers cannot be quickly remedied, you can’t just hire steel haulers, frocery drivers, or general freignt drivers, you need both a hazmat and tanker endorsement on your CDL and that requires written tests. When I drove I had class A license, double and tripple trailer endorsement, Tanker and hazmat, NY Thruay Tandem permit ( necessary for pulling two long trailers on the NY Thruway and Mass Pike). And a NY steel coil endorsement. You also need a current DOT physical card to get or renew a CDL.

The only reason I had the Tanker endorsement was because the freight company I worked for had two tanker truck for hauling our own fuel. The only time I hauled triple trailers was in Ohio, they were not legal in NY or PS except for a one year trial period in NY in the 70s.

Some always try to OutDarwin someone else.

1 Like

Yeah, the crowd that always worships “the free market” and private enterprise, and decries any type of government regulation, are the ones who ignore the reality of the situation, namely that this private enterprise failed to take adequate measures to protect their business and their customers.

Perhaps some stronger governmental regulations can now be enacted so that the private entities that constitute a vital part of our infrastructure can be required to take the steps necessary to secure their cyber facilities.

6 Likes

The “lady putting gas in a plastic bag” video is recycled from years ago.

2 Likes

No…that was already done by #45

Security of our gas/electric/water/sewer systems is part of our infrastructure.

2 Likes

No smoking, please

2 Likes

When we leave it entirely to the free market they take short-cuts and endanger peoples lives. A few years ago in Lawrence and Andover MA the local gas company accidently put high-pressure gas into lines that were not designed for it. The company wasn’t following best practices and also didn’t have properly trained personal. One young man was killed when a chimney fell on his parked car.

Merrimack Valley gas explosions - Wikipedia

I do NOT trust big business to do the right thing. Push comes to shove, they will cut corners and endanger lives.

3 Likes

I didn’t realize you needed a special endorsement for coils. Is that everywhere? Those things scare the heck out of me.

At times like this there needs to be a limit of how many gallons you can get say 15 gallons as I believe most car tanks are 18 to 20 gallons full. How many times o you pull up to the pumps with a empty tank? Also no cans except maybe a small one for lawn mowers,

CDL endorsements are national. Here’s a list of all the CDL endorsements and Restrictions. I don’t see one for coil. But then again this may not be a complete list.

It’s an old joke. Monte Python era. You know, stiff upper lip and all that in the face of impending disaster, like on a sinking ship. But think Queen Wilhelmina instead, loved by her subjects if that helps.

1 Like

In my travels today–once again–there were no unusual lines of cars at any of the NJ gas stations that I passed. And, if prices have gone up, it is such a miniscule price increase that I am not even sure if the price per gallon actually went up. The prevailing price seemed to be 2.99 per gallon, with Costco pricing their regular gas at 2.81/gallon.

1 Like

So did they pay the $5 mil ransom or not? There are reports both ways. If they did, expect more of the same.

Which bags do you have in mind? Polyester, polyethylene, and nylon bags have good to excellent resistance to gasoline as long as it’s around room temperature.

No, they didn’t.

According to this, they did:
Colonial Pipeline Paid Hackers Nearly $5 Million in Ransom (yahoo.com)

Sure, but let’s be realistic. Plastic shopping bags are extremely thin, often have holes in them already, and once piled into the trunk of an automobile (which is going to be warmer/hotter than room temp)…
:boom: :boom: :boom:

2 Likes

Even gas containers can be a problem:
Gas Hoarder Burns Hummer In Florida (jalopnik.com)

That is true, but stupidity never seems to go out of style, hence the folks who are still doing this very risky thing with plastic bags
:dizzy_face:.

1 Like