Cheap Holiday Gas? I'm Paying $2.59/Regular Gallon! Can You Beat That?

I pay $2.59. If I drive 50 miles I can pay $2.39. If I drive 100 miles I can pay $2.24.

We’ve always lived with price-fixing gas stations in my area.
Every station has the exact same prices and even if they change, all prices match again within minutes.
CSA

Regular non-Ethanol is 2.09 here with E-10 at 1.89 so lucky us; or not.

The oil and gas field world has taken a massive economic hit with the drop in oil prices. Three years ago one could look out over the horizon at night and count a dozen rigs in operation. All gone now other than a work-over rig which pops up now and then but their job is only to clear the clogs… :frowning:

A LOT of people have been laid off around here and a number of huge oil and gas operations have been merged, taken over, or closed down.

There is one large oil field service company here finishing up a non-oil field project but that’s a story in itself and still puzzling to me.

I can buy gas for $2.13, $2.23, and $2.39, all within five miles.

I filled up the other day at Costco, where regular is going for $1.87 per gallon in NJ.
Competing stations in the area are priced anywhere from $1.89 (Speedway, which is owned by Marathon) to $2.29 at a local family-owned Shell station.

In Western PA, land of taxes, we are paying around $2.40, If I drive 45 minutes to Ohio it is 20 cents cheaper.

$2.06 in Denver area, trending down…

NJ might add another 23 cents per gallon tax. I hope it never happens.

"NJ might add another 23 cents per gallon tax. I hope it never happens. "

Because I drive on the incredibly congested, deteriorating roads and bridges in NJ, I hope that it does happen; the alternatives are simply not acceptable, IMHO. The Highway Trust Fund will reach a balance of zero dollars at the end of this month. So, in order to deal with no more funds for roads and bridges, if we don’t increase the gas tax, which of the following approaches do you favor?

Continue to borrow money (our esteemed governor’s way of appearing to help the public by holding the line on taxes, but ultimately raising taxes–after he has left office–because of the higher interest rates resulting from the state’s poor credit rating on his watch) Is that what you want?
Simply stop repairing roads and bridges. Or, is this what you prefer?

At this point, every dollar paid into NJ’s Highway Trust Fund is used to pay interest on bonds that were issued instead of using the “pay-go” approach, which is to pay as you go, rather than pass the expenses down the line with continued borrowing. Nothing is left for repairs or new construction. Perhaps you find that to be an acceptable situation, but I do not.

Nobody likes higher taxes, but the reality is that NJ’s gas tax is one of the lowest in the country, and even if it was raised 23 cents, our gas would still be cheaper than the gas in adjoining NY, CT, and many other states. Additionally, because of the high volume of out-of-state traffic on our roads, at least 20% of this tax (and perhaps as much as 30% of this tax) would be paid by those who are passing through the state on our roads.

If the gas tax isn’t increased, please tell us how you would fund the repair of existing roads and bridges and the construction of new ones.

NJ is like most states that rely on fuel taxes per gallon to fund road building and repair projects. In the US the number of miles driven stays the same or has increased, but the gallons of fuel sold has dropped due to more efficient cars and trucks.

Fuel tax revenues are down, while the roads are deteriorating at the same rate or faster due to traffic volume.

I pay $2.59

That would be expensive here. Last I looked, around $2.17

Enjoy the cheap gas while it lasts! Once the world economy picks up steam prices will go up, but nothing like we saw in the past. Crude oil prices at $60 or so will ensure thee will be no shortages.

At those process the king of Saudi Arabia and OPEC know that there is a plentiful supply from non-OPEC sources and their markets hare will not improve.

I paid $2.099 for 87 octane E10 earlier this week at Sam’s Club. It is normally about $2.299 in my neighborhood.

$2.19. But I had a $1 off coupon on my grocery store gas saver card, so, $1.19 this morning. I feel like it’s the 90’s again!

2.11 Gallup NM
No choice for non-ethenol . . . I wish.

UncleTurbo NJ is like most states that rely on fuel taxes per gallon to fund road building and repair projects. In the US the number of miles driven stays the same or has increased, but the gallons of fuel sold has dropped due to more efficient cars and trucks.

Fuel tax revenues are down, while the roads are deteriorating at the same rate or faster due to traffic volume.

Just wait 'till everybody starts driving electric cars. You ain’t seen nothing yet.

@jmcarc stated, "NJ might add another 23 cents per gallon tax. I hope it never happens. "

@VDCdriver replied, "Because I drive on the incredibly congested, deteriorating roads and bridges in NJ, I hope that it does happen; the alternatives are simply not acceptable, IMHO.

I just watched the TV evening news (CBS, I believe… they put the BS in CBS) and according to them the nation’s interstate system is in need of work and more $$$. States too are being squeezed as higher MPG means fewer gas tax dollars are coming in to pay for roads.

One alternative being floated in several states, including New England region, is the mileage tax. They pointed to California looking at $.02/mile ($20/1000 miles) driven! The whole mileage tax idea is unpopular with nearly 3/4 of people surveyed.

I hope it never happens. It makes me a supporter of higher gas tax (after cutting wasteful spending).
CSA

$1.89 regular in Kearney Nebraska.

@“common sense answer”

If you believe CBS news is essentially BS . . . why do you watch it?

I happen to think Fox news is essentially BS . . . and accordingly, I do NOT watch it

pretty simple, if I may so so

:trollface:

$1.99 in Knoxville, Tenn

If I had seen this post earlier I would have made note of the gas prices at a few stations on the way home, but as it is I have no idea what the price of gas is. It doesn’t really matter to me. I’m not going to stop buying it, it’s a necessity like electricity and water at home. Whether it’s $2 or $4 a gallon, I still need to drive to work and take my kids to school.