Southern Gas Shortage

I have the greatest respect for our Southern neighbors common sense but what the heck is going on with this gas panic?
Colonial Pipeline has a 25 day supply of gas sitting in their Terminals waiting for delivery to the stations but folks are sitting in line and paying top dollar to top off their tank?

I’m beginning to think that BT Barnujm was right, “There’s a sucker born every minute”.

4 Likes

So one might ask, why are they not delivering the gas to the stations? I reject the idea that simple topping off tanks is causing stations to run out. People also do this on holidays or before storms. I’m in Minnesota though and I pretty much have kept my tanks full all the time, anyway. Never know when a tornado or blizzard will strike. I’ve also been at the station when the owner has said he needed to get another tanker full because of high demand. Just normal stuff. But blame drivers that only take protective action.

Yep. Most of the stations around where I live and work are out of gas (diesel is still widely available though). The three Valeros, one Kroger, and one Exxon nearest me are all out of gas. The Wawa is still going strong though. I had about a 1/4 tank when I left work this afternoon, and put about $20 in at Wawa to tide me over for the weekend. Normally I get gas at Kroger as I tend to do quite well with their fuel point program, and am currently sitting on about $7.50 off per/gallon, it’s annoying having that large a discount and no way to use it.

1 Like

Where have you read this?

Why do they keep saying the pipeline from Texas to ny is 4500 miles? Texas to Carolina to ny is still <2k miles?

2 Likes

Probably means the pipeline network, lots of twists, turns, and spur lines.

4 Likes

The news article linked below provides a fairly complete explanation for why the shortage seems to exist in the Southeast, but not in the Northeast. What the article doesn’t mention in detail is that there is actually a shortage of licensed tractor-trailer drivers currently. While it might be possible to compensate for the pipeline problem to a certain extent with more tanker trucks, unfortunately there aren’t enough people to drive them at this point.

I was actually thinking of filling my tank yesterday–as a precaution–even though it is at the 3/4 mark. But, this same reporter explained in a different article yesterday that the likely problem in the Southeast was unlikely to happen in the Northeast. And, in my travels yesterday and today, every gas station that observed had just a “normal” line-up of cars. No panic buying is apparent in this area,
or–at least–not yet.

Just like toilet paper & paper towels a year ago, people get into a panic mode & start hoarding. I like to fill up when I am between 1/4 & 1/2 tank

5 Likes

We think alike. I’m glad that I resisted the impulse to fill my tank yesterday.

1 Like

There has been some panic buying in Florida despite most of our gas coming in tankers. Only the more north eastern portion is affected by the pipeline.

Panic buying when there is no shortage…creates a shortage.

5 Likes

Hence the Toilet Paper Problem, revisited…

5 Likes

Ooohhhh FLASHABACKS…Noooooo! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Reminds me of the “Music Man, We’ve got a problem, Right here in River City!”

Good Greif , how much is a gallon of gas where you live ? :wink:

1 Like

Hoping it does not carry over to the rest of the country. Malware was the issue for the pipeline shut down, is what I have heard, unlike my right winger friends, “Just part of the Biden/Harris plan to cripple our nation.”

4 Likes

Yeah if not the plan, doin’ a dang good job anyway. But not just the nation.

As usual there is a lot of hoopla, panic and misinformation in control.

A scroll under a news program said that the pipeline company had 6 employees on its security staff nation wide and none were involved with their cyber security. But how can anything from any television news source be believed?

3 Likes

I would have to look into what is described as security staff. I was a staff of 1 on computer security for a water utility serving 300,000 customers, and that was 10% of my responsibility. Had a director of course, got hit by ransomware, wiped the computer and restored his files and OS the next day from backups. AV controls kept the virus from spreading.

2 Likes

Yes they can. I’ll go with the centrist sources every time.

And this is a ransomware attack, crazy conspiracy theories are just that. If I was to look for a source, Putin would be high on the list.

4 Likes

Here’s my ransomware plan: First my response. KMA. Then wipe the computer clean or throw it out. Take my thumb drives to Dave and have him restore it. Done the same day. Couple hundred bucks plus computer if needed.

Everyone has/should have all this stuff backed up multiple times every night on redundant computers.

1 Like