Southern Gas Shortage

Is that CMA? I use an external usb drive to back up my files occasionally. Would love to use google drive, but they do not allow password protected documents.

From a popular news source;

ā€œAt least 12,000 gas stations reported being completely empty, and the squeeze pushed the price of a gallon past $3, its highest in years.ā€

Gasoline has been more than $3 a gallon in my area for a while and we have adapted to the cost. I am in favor of raising the price to $4.50 per gallon during times of reduced supply or hoarding. This has been called price gouging however the supply should be reserved for those who need the fuel, not for those who enjoy having two vehicles with full tanks parked in the garage and nowhere to go.

4 Likes

No K as in kiss, not C as in cover. As long as people pay, it will never end. Just like hostages. Go ahead, kill my computer, I donā€™t care. Iā€™d spend ten times what they want just to make sure they donā€™t get a penny. I donā€™t use anything outside of my own home. The cloud is not safe. Everything is on separate thumb drives.

Now if it is a strategic national resource, I expect the over paid spooks to have identified who exactly, even though they canā€™t find Nancyā€™s laptop yet. Then about a dozen highly trained men and women would be sent to descend on them about 3:00 in the morning and provide a suitable bloody response. What the heck are we paying for?

And I remember the days when we couldnā€™t even organize a stinking hostage rescue force and it was not a pleasant time. God save the Queen.

3 Likes

I have always thought every town should have one station closed to the public and that station be reserved for police and emergency vehicles and their personal vehicles so that they have the gas to get to work.

I filled up maybe 2 weeks ago at 2.39, up to 2.99 I saw today, now gas price does not bother me as much as it does other people, sure the 500 mile trip to the cabins might be a killer for some, and I understand that, but an extra $100 round trip if it was $5 a gallon is not a deal killer for me, as long as I can get gas.

In our little town by the lake, that is at the county garage. Thatā€™s where the pumps are that the Sheriff, local Police, and street trucks fill up. They donā€™t have coffee and donuts there though so youā€™ll see them at Kwik Trip too.

Now on to who the heck is watching the water supplies? Yeah and I took the disaster management and response plan course work. So its blowing the dust off the 2001 plans and harden the grid and infra-structure you dummies.

1 Like

Our city has municipality owned gas station, only for city vehicles, be it fire truck, ambulance, city vehicle of any sort.

"Bing,
In our little town by the lake, that is at the county garage. Thatā€™s where the pumps are that the Sheriff, local Police, and street trucks fill up. They donā€™t have coffee and donuts there though so youā€™ll see them at Kwik Trip too.

That is good for the county vehicles but how about the workers personal vehicles to get to work?

Energy secretary Jennifer Granholm made a statement today that gas stations would be investigated for ā€œprice gougingā€. If the retailers are not allowed to increase the price of fuel how can they prevent the public from pumping the tanks dry? Having no fuel for those who need it is a lousy emergency strategy.

2 Likes

To me raising price and price gouging are two different things.

Theyā€™d just have to walk or take their bikes. I do remember though when we were snowed in and the neighbor needed to get to the hospital for her shift, she was taken there on a snow mobile. So critical infra-structure is generally covered.

@Nevada_545 But yeah, how terrible it would be for the general public (US Citizens) to have access to gas, food, heat, electricity, and other necessities of life, ahead of . . .? Hereā€™s a lesson: The government exists for the benefit of the citizens, not the other way around.

1 Like

When the shelves and tanks are empty the government has failed with respect to rationing supplies. There is a point of view that one needs to get up early in the morning to obtain their supplies whether they are needed or not, every man for himself. If a person wants to hoard supplies they should pay a premium, I can wait two weeks for my next purchase.

2 Likes

I remember that, we had enough 4wd vehicles to go pick up workers that needed a ride.

Well yes there are two schools of thoughts. One is to take limited resources and manage/ration who gets them as was necessary during WW II. The other is to allow and encourage the private production of those items making rationing unnecessary. The government is filled with people loving to ration through their restrictions and policies. Less so the second type. The one is autocratic, the other is democratic.

But sure I remember going to WM last year and there was a pallet in the aisle that had one package of TP. I was going to buy it but just as I went for it a young lady looking desperate wanted it. I didnā€™t need it, Iā€™ve lived through shortages and stay reasonably stocked. Maybe she learned something. People are generous and take care of one another. There was another story of a mother in AZ sending two rolls of TP to her son in St. Paul to tide him over.

Sorry but it riles me to no end when our corporate and public leadership fail to take the necessary actions to protect their little corner of the world and leave it open to attack and the public suffers.

Itā€™s not just the southern states. And as of last night it was back up and running.

I know a company in NH that deals a lot with security. Weā€™ve hired them from time to time to validate what we were doing. Security is not easy, but doable. And itā€™s far easier to build security into a new system/software then to retrofit it later. My guess is security is a second step priority. it really should be #1. Especially now. Ransomware can be very very costly. In fact companies and individuals have paid out over $1 BILLION in 2020 just in the US. Very costly.

For home security itā€™s a lot easier. Use a VM for all network access- EMail, Internetā€¦ If a virus gets on the systemā€¦itā€™ll be isolated to the VM. Keep a backup of the VM. If/When a virus or you get Ransomewareā€¦then just delete the VM and restore from the backup. Your main computer will be protected.

1 Like

Very much agreeā€¦ Just a personal observation; Non-tech companies seem to be pretty bad in this regard mostly, I think, because the top person does not have a computer background or interest, they donā€™t see the threat. A CEO of a tech company understands the threat because they speak the language and understand the concepts.

Hospitals for 1 example; Top person is an MD or DO maybe with an MBA. When the IT head talks to them, they get the ā€œteaching a dog calculusā€ look in their eyes because they donā€™t understand but act like they do. Further, they think, ā€œwe are a hospital, no one would target us!ā€ which makes them a target. And they pay the ransom.

Now Iā€™m a fairly computer savvy person and I had to look up what a ā€œVMā€ was. What I read about VMs makes perfect sense, Thank You, @MikeInNH, for that advice, I am going to take it.

2 Likes

Itā€™s one reason why many companies are going to the cloud. Cloud systems like AWS and Azure are up on the latest security standards. When your system on one of these cloud systems itā€™s very secure. Their cloud systems in the US meet the European security standard (General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)). And companies in the US that understand security also meet that standard.

The Pipeline company did NOT meet the GDPR standard.

2 Likes

+1
That is the norm in my state, for any municipality that has a police force with more than a couple of cars.

If that is a reference to the Queen of England count me out. The Royal family is as messed up and goofy as the US politicians and way to expensive to justify .

3 Likes

Slightly off topic, but Iā€™ve seen some pics and video of people doing some downright stupid things while trying to stock up on gas.
One guy had a dozen large gas containers in the back of his SUV.
Some were putting gas into plastic bags and even filling them to the top. Apparently none have considered collisions or static electricity.
One was a 1/2 ton Ram pickup and a 300 gallon poly fertilizer tank in the bed. The tank was half full and already the rear was sunken and the front tires were trying to come off the ground.

Anyone gets injured or killed then the lawsuits will pop up against the container manufacturers, the refinery, the gas station, and the car maker,ā€¦

2 Likes