Simple question

I’m trying to find out what these screws/fasteners are called The screw itself, the metal part that’s around it, any technical names or whatever or pictures of them removed so you can see them clearly. I’m trying to make them in 3d software, and my goal is to get good pictures of these parts to model them accurately. Of course I’ll be looking up these pictures myself, but if you happen to know of any good pictures feel free to share them.

Thank you!

Since the image used is subject to copyright, here’s the attribution information:

By The359 - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0,

They are called “nuts” Some of these 2 piece rotor and hat assemblies are riveted but I can see the hex on the head and the threads peeking out so its a nut.

1 Like

Thank you for your quick reply! Is there any name for the metal part that they hold in place?

The dull grey circle with all the holes in it (that shouldn’t be there) is called the rotor. The gold part is called the hat. The nuts on that specific assembly are H-type retention fasteners (and since I’m taking a wild guess that you don’t actually own a Ferrari F430, know that they might be different on your specific car). The H-part of the H-type-retention-fastener is the rectangular metal bit that the nut is holding.


Thank you! You are correct with your wild guess that I don’t own this car :wink:. What is the name of the other type of fastener, if you don’t mind me asking? This is H-type, but there is another that you seem to know about, yes? Thanks.

There’s a McLaren anti-rattle assembly, but that’s generally found on aftermarket Brembo rotors, as well as the McLaren F1 for which Brembo designed it.

1 Like

The bolt may hold a spool shaped piece called a “bobbin” or even “button” but Ferrari may call it something else. The H retainer, as @shadowfax says may be called “retainer” or “clip” or some obscure Italian word meaning the same thing.

I think this drawing i close and THEY call them anti-rattle clips!


1 Like

I should probably clarify that when I said “your specific assembly” I meant you probably do have the H-type clips, but they might not be exactly the same as what’s in the picture, so don’t automatically base your CAD model on the Ferrari.

1 Like

Thank you both for your replies again! I’m actually working on a Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4, but it seems to have similar h-type things, and this ferrari picture was the highest quality picture I could find. @Mustangman That drawing is fantastic! Can you have a link to it so maybe I can get a bigger picture? I’ll keep my eyes out for different words that refer to these pieces. Thanks for the heads up. In case you’re curious here’s the disc brake I’m trying to make essentially: Thanks again guys you’ve been great :smiley:.

If you’re fabricating brakes to save money, the V10 Audi R8 uses the same brakes and they’re cheaper. :wink:

Also, I’m sure this isn’t the case but you’d be surprised at some of the stuff we see around here… I’m assuming you aren’t planning to make these on a 3d printer for use on an actual car, right? This is for a CNC machine? :wink:

1 Like

Simple answer - just buy the actual parts you need .

Hmm, cost saving options. I like, I like :wink:. No, no, I’m not planning to actually make these in real life LOL! No 3d printing or fancy machines. This is simply for recreating it in 3D for renders and such if you know what I’m talking about and to just share with others etc.

1 Like

Just Google this: floating rotor brakes assembly and you should see the picture. Try taking a look around They make brake components and they have similar and somewhat simpler systems. They often have drawings (and maybe IGS files?? not sure)

1 Like

Excellent. I found the image there thank you. I’ll check out that website as well. I’m not expecting any IGS files or anything like that. That would make things too easy :slight_smile:. Usually when I post on sites like this my expectations are pretty low, but you guys hit it out of the park with your knowledge and responses etc. Keep up the great work guys! :wink: