Sienna premature tire wear

I have a 2004 Sienna with 115,000 miles. The majority of my miles are the result of lengthy highway driving. I have had Dunlop and Bridgestone tires. None last more than about 20,000 miles. There are major tread wear and rim separation issues. Can anyone please recommend a tire that will last? I wouldn’t mind a noisier ride. I am tired of buying new tires. Of course, the dealership denies this is a design issue. My vehicle is well-maintained. I have the tires rotated as recommended, and balanced as needed. I also rarely use my brakes – much to the fear of drivers in front of me. Seriously, I have to drive 1,000 + miles roundtrip to see my daughters in college and to visit family. I rarely put local miles on the van as I usually work from home. Thank you for any help that is offered

If you’ve had the same problem with 2 different brands of tires, then the problem is not the tires and changing tires is not likely to fix the problem.

First, start by getting an alignment. Find an alignment tech who agrees with this statement: The factory alignment tolerances are too wide by half.

Once you have found him, follow his advice.

Next, try to avoid high speeds and over loadind. Also try to use more inflation pressure. On every vehicle sold in the US, there is a sticker commonly - called the vehicle placard - that lists the original tire size and the proper pressure for that size. The placard is usually located on a doorpost or in the glove box ? but sometimes it is located in the trunk or on the fuel filler door.

Use 3 to 5 psi above the placard pressure - assuming you are using the placard tire size. If you aren’t using the placard tire size, then post back. That might be your problem!

Thanks for responding. I do keep my car aligned, have the tire pressure checked regularly and am well known for my slow driving. (My kids wear dark glasses when riding with me because I am the one in the right lane driving the speed limit.) The psi idea is not one I have tried. My mechanic, who has worked on all 4 of our Toyotas for years, said he sees this problem with the Sienna and the Solara. He thinks it is a design problem. I wonder if a change from Bridgestone or Dunlap will help. Both have been subject to recalls previously to to quality issues on the Siennas. The dealership is recommending Yokahama. Any thoughts? Thanks again. I appreciate the ideas.

Minivans are pretty tough on tires because they’re front wheel drive, heavy and usually need to use car tires. What specific tires are you using? You probably are lucky if you get 20,000 miles out of a lower-end car tire on a minivan. www.tirerack.com has very good tire reviews-- find some tires that get high marks in tread life.