SHO shutdown

I have a 1991 Taurus SHO that has a mind of it’s own. It shuts down in Rush hour traffic!

Scary s#&t, to say the least. I’ve read a few things. From a crank pos. sensor , cam pos. sensor, maf sensor, to a bad chip or computer.

Any Ideas will be helpful. I’ve been stranded on a bridge in morning rush hour traffic(that was fun) until I was able to let it cool down, then I pushed it to start it

thx

Mark

Mark

The TFI-IV ignition modules of this era were notorious for this but I think your SHO uses a DIS setup. Considering the symptom the module is more than likely the problem whether it’s TFI or DIS (Distributorless Ignition System).

Testing them at the car parts stores is usually a waste of time unless they fail and stay failed. When tested they may show good but heat during operation is what does them in. Underhood temps usually go up in traffic and that extra heat is often what tips the module over the edge and causes it to quit.
The symptoms can be the engine instantly quitting or it may sputter and act like it’s running out of gas.

Hope that helps.