She would not know all of that. No one would

One thing I don’t like about Dragnet is their cigarette advertisements. The listener is repeatedly bombarded with very effective enticements to smoke cigarettes. I don’t recall the advert’s exact wording, but it is very cleverly worded. What at first appears to be just an ad for a particular cigarette product seems to actually be intended as a message saying it would be a good idea to smoke cigarettes.

Superman’s sponsor is a cereal company, and Sherlock’s sponsor is a wine company. Those ads are maybe a little on the pushy side, but overall are ok by me.

Nothing wrong with preferring the old programs because the new programs are pure cow pie material written by ? You’d really ,like the old twilight zone shows. Puff puff puff. But don’t make the mistake of judging history by today’s narative.

1 Like

I like listening to the old shows (drama) much more than the comedies since they thought so little of the listening public that they load them up with laugh tracks…

Also, the old crime shows are not so predictable, the plots of today’s Crime shows are so predictable that it is insulting; and for those of you that watched the New TV Series “Elsbeth”, the viewer and Elsbeth both knew who committed the crime in the first minute…

The writers were given the instructions, change that or there will be no new season, and in the last episode one of the characters even joked about Elsbeth did not figure out who the murderer was in the first minute… They renewed the show…

We like to watch the BBC TV series that we stream off out Roku and the Australian and New Zealand crime dramas are especially good because they do not use the tired old “Hollywood” plots that are used over and over again…

But, I digress, Back on Automobiles and here are some vintage Commercial from the days of old, 1940s and 1950s…

Vintage 1957 Chevy Commercial…

Vintage Dodge Commercial…

Jack Benny’s Texaco Commercial…

Edgar Bergen’s and Charlie McCarthy’s Guardian Maintenance Commercial…

Vintage Ingram Gasoline Commercial…

1 Like

I love the Twilight Zone. Even the not-so-great episodes. Rod Serling was awesome. (And of course he was usually puffing on a smoke - it was the chic thing to do at the time. Thus also common in Dragnet ads). I get at least one episode per day on MeTV. But I love the 24hr+ marathon every New Years Eve.

1 Like

Bing, just for you…

2 Likes

I always prefer the video and Rod Serling’s voice over

2 Likes

I agree, that version (your posting…) is more haunting and what we have all come to expect, but when I stumbled onto the origianal theme music without the voice over, that was different…

Thanks but I’ve got the whole collection on dvd. I’ve watched them all once and the majority I had seen as a kid. Yeah and I love seeing those old cars that are brand new. Mostly fords, mercuries, and Lincoln’s. I was always partial to ford styling, but I liked the chevies too.

1 Like

If you’re looking for sexist, what about Fred Gwynne’s character’s assumption that she wouldn’t know?

1 Like

Thank you.
Interesting hearing the whole composition by Romanian-born French composer, Marius Constant, 1925 - 2004

“The defense is wrong.”
Ms. Vito decribes what and why:

1 Like

Now, not being a GM guy, I did not know that one… lol

I verified it did have an IRS, but no idea if it had Posi Traction or not… Also looks like it was a front engine, w/torque tube and rear transaxle… But the older gentlemen probably already new all that, a little before my time, but I am sure we learned about it in Automotive Technology class, and I wasn’t interested in it so I slept though it or something…

1 Like

Posi (LSD) rears were already available in Corvettes as early as 1957. GM’s divisions had different names for the LSDs they offered.

In the end, I don’t believe anyone can realistically argue that a car with an open rear can lay down burner marks like that regardless of the other nitpicks. If the defendant’s car has an open rear and those marks are attributed to the car the perps drove- case closed. The rest is theater :grinning:

2 Likes

1956 for Packard, then across the all the Studebaker/Packard cars in 57.