Shaky driving

In my vehicle when driving between 30 and about 40 miles per hour anytime i try to accelerate lightly the vehicle shakes and hesitates as if it wants to stall. What can be causing this?

Auto or manual transmission? Make model and year?

And, we also need to know both the odometer mileage and the vehicle’s maintenance history–in detail.

Information about the state of the “check engine” light would also be important.

It is a 2007 jeep liberty it is also 4 wheel drive. Its an automatic transmission. The odometer reads at 100,000 miles i do not have any information about the vehicle maintenance because i purchased it used. I get the same affect whether it is in 4 wheel drive or in 2 wheel drive. If i accelerate quickly its ok. Usually above 2000 rpm it is okay it only happens when i accelerate very lightly

It is a 2007 jeep liberty it is also 4 wheel drive. Its an automatic transmission. The odometer reads at 100,000 miles i do not have any information about the vehicle maintenance because purchased it used. I get the same affect whether it is in 4 wheel drive or in 2 wheel drive. If accelerate quickly its ok. Usually above 2000 rpm it is okay it only happens when i accelerate very ight

Since you don’t know the maintenance history of the car you should just start by giving attention to very basic tune-up items. Spark plugs, wires, air & fuel filters to start.

If the check engine/service engine light on?

I have done all of the basic maintenance procedures on the vehicle including oil changes i do not know what else to do. The engine light is not on. It almost feels as if it could also be the transmission

When you say that you’ve done all of the basic maintenance, I assume this means that you do have new spark plugs & wires? What you have to understand is that your description is very vague and people here have very limited knowledge of what happened to this vehicle in the 1st 100K. Put that together and the list of possibilities is pretty long.

One of those possibilities is a transmission issue - in particular, one of the things that may fit your description is a torque converter clutch (TCC) lockup problem. The TCC probably locks in the 30-40mph range if you reach a steady cruise (exactly how it works varies by transmission) . If you do try to accelerate it should unlock depending on how hard the acceleration is. What you describe is consistent with a TCC having trouble unlocking. Have you checked the transmission fluid? Level/color/smell? Have you had the transmission serviced?

Yes I have changed spark plugs and the wires. I have not have the transmission checked but i will do that as soon as i can