2007 Jeep Liberty has “washboard” vibration

Intermittently while driving it feels like I am going over a washboard road, I decelerate and it stops only to keep happening during the entire ride. I have been afraid to just keep accelerating when it happens so I don’t know if it would just stop anyway. I took it to a transmission shop and they couldn’t find anything wrong!

Did they not experience the vibration? Any transmission technician should be able to recognize torque converter shudder. This typically occurs at 40 to 55 MPH, were you able to demonstrate the problem?

My neighbor drove me around at 25 MPH in an attempt to demonstrate his vehicle problem and failed. I drove the vehicle to work on the highway and found no problem. I drove home on the city streets and the torque converter had a violent shudder at 45 MPH, the devil is in the details.

1 Like

Sounds like torque converter shudder to me.

I can’t speak for Jeeps but on all of the Fords I’ve owned one can feel a barely noticeable shudder at times when the trans fluid needs to be changed. If left unattended the barely noticeable soon becomes very noticeable at around 40 to 50 MPH and feels like those rumble strips on the side of the highway. Fluid changes always stop the washboard shudder.

3 Likes

+1
It’s a classic description of torque converter shudder.

The first time that I ever experienced this was with a friend’s 'early 90s-era Maxima, and I didn’t know what the problem was. Unfortunately, neither did the Nissan dealership, and the problem endured until he got rid of the car a few years later.

1 Like