Seeing instruments display (speedometer)

I’m having trouble seeing my instrument panel in the daytime, especially the speedometer with my old 72 yo eyes (just had eye exam,etc., so that’s not the reason). Looking into a way to see it better,.Saw they have windshield instrumentation OBD displays, but not sure those work with my 2000 Honda CR-V. Wondering about taking out the plastic/ plexiglass that covers the display but unsure if that would cause problems with the display being exposed. All thoughts and ideas, as always, are appreciated.

I think that you’re referring to what’s called a head-up display. I really like mine, but it came from the factory on my car. I’m not sure about the quality of aftermarket head-up display units, but they do exist.

I think that should get another eye exam, from a different doctor. You might need a different prescription for close-up vision, or it might be something else, but I would suggest that you not ignore a change in vision.

Is the current instrument cover dirty or scratched? After 24 years they can get that way. I’d try gentle cleaning first, with PlastX on a small area.

If you have a smartphone you can install an app that uses GPS for the speedometer…

I use DigiHUD and it is very accurate, more so than most all OEM speedometers I have tested it against… It is FREE with NO adds!! lol…

I don’t know if Apple has this one, but I am sure there are many more out there that do the same…

1 Like

You can also buy a plug in bluetooth device for your OBD2 port and download an app on your phone or tablet that can display speed and large as the screen. You will need a holder for the phone or tablet like you would for a GPS speedo app. The OBD2 app will always display speed while the GPS can be blocked by clouds or tall buildings.

This might be a dumb question, but are you sure the instrument panel is at full brightness?

3 Likes

And that all the dash lights are working?

1 Like

Our heads up display disappears if you are wearing polarized sunglasses. So if you wear polarized sunglasses a thought. our 2017 gps oem is not upgrade-able to new info so I still use a maybe 20 year old Garmin with free lifetime map upgrades. It displays speed and speed limits on the road you are on. Most of the time very visible and readable, but sure every now and then the sun is an issue. Many people seem to like waze, etc.but I am a hypermiler for phone battery use. My Galaxy s20 gets 4 or 5 days to a charge, but using those but using google maps etc. I am lucky to get a day before recharge needed even when not in use. So Iamsticking with the garmin for now.

+1… sort of…
Mine doesn’t disappear, but it is much more difficult to see if I am wearing my sunglasses. On overcast days when I am just wearing my “regular” glasses, it is fully visible.

There are some out there, most plug into your ODB port but at least one also uses GPS for speed only, Could give it a try.