Sebring convertible

I have a 2008 Sebring convertible that has starting issues. Sometimes when I turn the key to start, it does nothing (no noises, maybe a small click very rarely). If I take the key out and put it back in, it may start. Usually, I have to turn the power on, move the gears, and try again. Sometimes, it will start immediately, or I may have to do this procedure several times. It has been taken into the Chrysler dealer twice. They said it was not the switch or alternator and replaced the battery that wouldn’t keep a charge. It was a 5-yr battery with 3 years of use. I was told to drive more! I shouldn’t have to charge the battery every day. Several diagnostic tests were performed with no results. It still did this twice after the battery was replaced. Could it be cables? Please help. I need a reliable car.

From the people I know who have owned Sebrings, getting this issue fixed still doesn’t address your last concern…“I need a reliable car.” I would talk trade with the dealer. If the insist on giving you less because of this issue, you know they are pulling your leg. Go somewhere else.

I take it this is an automatic? There’s very likely a switch that won’t let the car start unless it is truly in park or neutral and maybe another one that detects whether the brake pedal is pressed.
Since you say it often works after you fool around with the gear selector, that switch may be your problem.

Try starting it in neutral instead of park. Also try wiggling the shifter while turning the key to start. If it starts, you have a bad “neutral safety switch” If the dealer misdiagnosed this, I’d go elsewhere–it’s so basic that they have to be utter fools to not find it.

There’s no reason this wouldn’t be a reliable car, despite dagosa’s apparent bias against it. One thing: If it has the 2.7 liter engine, make sure you change the oil on time and use synthetic. These engines are prone to oil sludging. If you keep up on the oil and other fluid changes, there’s no reason it can’t go 200K miles or more. This advice pretty much applies to any car…