Rust on an engine block

jeep
wrangler

I recently purchased a 2004 Jeep wrangler Sahara. In retrospect, I probably should have inspected it more closely. The underside, including the sides of the engine block (below the heads, etc.) have a lot of rust. With little effort I can flake off pieces as thick as a quarter for example. Can anyone tell me how concerned I should be and what I need to do???

0 Likes

I’d be much more concerned about the frame and brake/fuel lines rusting through. I’ve not heard of rust damaging a block. The freeze out plugs sometimes corrode, but that’s usually from the inside.

0 Likes

Thanks, texases

0 Likes

It’ll take several decades for the rust to be any concern. This is not sheet metal. It’s inches thick of cast Iron. I’ve seen engine blocks sit outside in a junk yard in the North East…and then someone comes along and buys it and plops it in their vehicle.

0 Likes

Thanks

0 Likes

Rust and no oil? I’d be thankful! At that age there isn’t a whole lot that could’ve rusted through with normal use. If there’s no sign of offroad abuse (dinged skid plate, dented fuel tank, etc.) you shouldn’t be concerned.

0 Likes