Wrangler frame rust

I’m looking at a 2013 Wrangler with 110k. It looks pretty clean, but there were some rust areas on the frame. Are they something to worry about or look normal? Also, the hinges had a bit of rust.

Thanks.

Walk away.

There are plenty of other Jeeps out there.

That wouldn’t be enough rust to cause me to turn down an otherwise good deal on a used vehicle. It’s 10 years old after all. A little grinding/sanding/a couple coats of rust converter is probably all that is required. The door hinge problem looks to be benign neglect, deferred maintenance is all Worse case, the hinges can be replaced. Probably won’t be necessary. It would be a good idea if you purchase this Jeep to lube the door & hood hinges & hood latch mechanism w/every oil change

2 Likes

If you’re serious about it have a mechanic inspect it before you buy. Jeeps are known for their problems.

3 Likes

Without seeing the entire area around it, or where it has lived, I can’t make a good judgement on the rust.

Doesn’t look too bad for a 10 year old Jeep.

But given the other problems Jeeps have when they get this old, I’d walk away from this one and choose another brand.

1 Like

Just remember, Rust doesn’t normally get better with time, just worse… And that almost looks like part of the frame (no idea what part) was welded later in life and not done correctly, and now the welds are rusting… But again it could just be a normal Jeep thing… :man_shrugging:

Now that you mention it, It does look like a patch job - not that I can judge, but…

Thanks.

If you’re really interested in the vehicle, first do some web searches to see if there were obvious frame rusting issues with the '13 Wrangler. If you don’t find anything, tell the seller you want to have a body shop check it out.

1 Like